Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 
laughing

How to utilize space better?

I have a VERY small room. Currently I have a lovely 20 gallon community tank set up in there so it takes up even more space! My goal was to get a book case for under my shelving unit for all my books, comp games, CDs, etc. which I accomplished yesterday then to get a slender and tall book case for next to my 20 gallon to keep a couple bettas.

BUT I CAN'T JUST PICK THREE BETTAS!!!

Soooo new plan. I have plenty of space for 1.75 gallon bowls all over the shelving units and such but any filter I find would take up so much space and I simply don't have time to do a million water changes daily!!

There's my question, how can I have the maximum amount of bettas with the least amount of work? It's not that I'm lazy I'm just too busy for 10 water changes I week...

I was considering a 10 gallon long take and dividing into 4 then getting some smaller tanks with the hood filter/lights like the 2.5 gallon ones for the most room space. That would give me 7 bettas... Or if I have 2 smaller ones I could split a 2.5 so they'll each have 1.25 gallons, just depends on their size. I'd feel wrong putting a nice, big male into that! That's 8 fish!

Let's brainstorm people!

GUIDELINES:
Not much space, so I can't opt for another 20 gallon or something to split up. I can't keep too many 10 gallons either. I could fit one on the bottom shelf of the book case but that's it... The shelving unit next to the 20 gallon will have 3 shelves, but the top of the first book case is so far open, I just don't know how much weight it can hold. Probably only 30lbs or so though... It's a very cheap case! I would like to make this easy/cheap... Like splitting tanks is good because I can save on buying tanks, heaters, etc. (Good news? I don't need a heater until Nov. anyway... too hot here!)

Thanks guys! You always help me!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

Questions first.
Does your room have a concrete floor?
Have you considered Sponge filters? (lots of small pumps or hoses and valves)
Have you considered a central canister filter? (lotta hoses and valves)

Cheapest sponge filter you can do is a section of 1 inch bubble lift pipe about six inches long, a larger (pondmaster's smallest) intake pre-filter sponge and a nice tom's top deflector. This results in an eight inch tall two inch diameter sponge filter.

You could pop $10.00 each and get a few sponge filters (shipping figured in price for about four). You can run four of them with a valve manifold off a standard air pump.

The canister filter solution is a little trickier and requires some hosing, valves and clips to hold the hoses in place and also sets up the situation where multiple fish are exposed to pathogen at the same time. A C-160 would likely run ten two gallon tanks without a problem (some flow loss from turbulence in the hoses)

In multiple divider tanks you can use a hose stuck into the intake run over to the other end to complete a circulation cycle through the dividers. (pre filter sponge over the intake tip on that end)

If you want to spend "too much" you could go with several whisper 3i... etc.

It depends on how you wish to maintain the tanks in the end.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Fil...tml?tc=default switch to "round" These take very little air to operate and can be trimmed down to about half their diameter AND burried in the rocks. They'll support cycling of the tank so you can get away with "remove betta, drain, fill, replace betta" tank cleaning instead of full scrub outs. IIRC you can make Lee's small undergravel carbon heads fit on top too if you want refillable media baskets for em

Can't find a sales link but here's a horrible little contraption with a full undergravel filter that has a re-fillable carbon and floss head. http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Aqu...tml?tc=default(the oval version isn't quite so horrible)
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Questions first.
Does your room have a concrete floor?
Have you considered Sponge filters? (lots of small pumps or hoses and valves)
Have you considered a central canister filter? (lotta hoses and valves)

Cheapest sponge filter you can do is a section of 1 inch bubble lift pipe about six inches long, a larger (pondmaster's smallest) intake pre-filter sponge and a nice tom's top deflector. This results in an eight inch tall two inch diameter sponge filter.

You could pop $10.00 each and get a few sponge filters (shipping figured in price for about four). You can run four of them with a valve manifold off a standard air pump.

The canister filter solution is a little trickier and requires some hosing, valves and clips to hold the hoses in place and also sets up the situation where multiple fish are exposed to pathogen at the same time. A C-160 would likely run ten two gallon tanks without a problem (some flow loss from turbulence in the hoses)

In multiple divider tanks you can use a hose stuck into the intake run over to the other end to complete a circulation cycle through the dividers. (pre filter sponge over the intake tip on that end)

If you want to spend "too much" you could go with several whisper 3i... etc.

It depends on how you wish to maintain the tanks in the end.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Fil...tml?tc=default switch to "round" These take very little air to operate and can be trimmed down to about half their diameter AND burried in the rocks. They'll support cycling of the tank so you can get away with "remove betta, drain, fill, replace betta" tank cleaning instead of full scrub outs. IIRC you can make Lee's small undergravel carbon heads fit on top too if you want refillable media baskets for em

Can't find a sales link but here's a horrible little contraption with a full undergravel filter that has a re-fillable carbon and floss head. http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Aqu...tml?tc=default(the oval version isn't quite so horrible)
Wow that's a lot of info! Thanks for spending time on that! I think I might look into the sponge filter option, but I do like those over-head filter things, too, they're just definitely pricey.

I do not have a concrete floor. What makes it worse? I'm on the second floor of an apartment complex... OUCH! Currently there's a really worry-some situation. My 20 gallon doesn't have a stand and we keep finding cheap ones at GoodWill, Craigslist, etc. but if that collapses, I'm screwed! It'll definitely seep through to the apartment below us and would have to pay for repairs and *could* get kicked out... So here's to paying $70 for a nice PetSmart stand!

That's why if I do opt for a 10 gal (which I just looked at my bf's one in the garage, don't like the 4 idea, just seems to small, I think I'll go for 3) I'll be putting it on the last shelf on the book case so it's basically being supported by the floor so there's no "oops" moments!! And if I get the 2.5 gallon tanks I'm going to buy shelving that specifically holds 40lbs a shelf, just in case! I want to secure them, too. Can't be too careful! If I do put a tank on TOP of the case, it'll be a single 2.5 or (2) 1 gallons because it can hold some 30lbs or so.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote