Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #21 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You should never, ever put males and females together, even if it is for only 20 seconds. They should only be together for breeding purposes, and even then it is a difficult process to get them to not kill each other. Also, I don't suggest keeping two fish in a divided tank any less than five gallons, especially with no filter. What is your water change schedule?

I suggest you do a bit more research before you decide to breed, it doesn't some like you have all your betta facts straight, considering you put them in the same glass.

There are tons of good sites out there with betta info and betta breeding info out there, like bettysplendens.com or bettatalk.com :)
I agree. You should only divide a minimum of 5 gallons IMO. In a divided 3 gallon, that's like... you have to do probably around 4 100% water changes a week (might get away with 2 50% and 2 100%) Just double the normal amount of water changes.

Also, you really should do months of research before you breed. Live food cultures take weeks to setup (Fry NEED to eat live food for their first weeks), fry containers can cost you hundreds of dollars (most likely 100% daily water changes), growout tank/tub needed of at least 20 gallons, IAL's, lots of cover, breeding tank, ability to stand constantly patiently checking through clear buckets of water for a really long time for fry during water changes, and more.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #22 
Landon21
Banned

Thanks, but i know what im doing. ive kept bettas for more than 9 years and havnt had a problem so far. Im not trying to be impolite but; it was 20 seconds and the bettas didnt so much as nip one another. I change %100 of the water every two days and i said before that I am getting an aquarium for the pair this week. Thank you for all of your comments, take care ;)
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #23 
Landon21
Banned

Also as ive said; ive had experience breeding in the past, i use 55's for growout. its been a couple years but i have a bit more knowledge than you think so dont get too far ahead of your self. This is why i dont usually post on forums; power trippin.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #24 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob21 View Post
Also as ive said; ive had experience breeding in the past, i use 55's for growout. its been a couple years but i have a bit more knowledge than you think so dont get too far ahead of your self. This is why i dont usually post on forums; power trippin.
LOL No one was "power trippin", we just want the best for your fish. We get a few people on here sometimes that try to breed when they have the maturity (or the age) of a 10 year old. Just looking out for ya!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #25 
baylee767

For some odd reason I was under the impression you had never bred Bettas before LOL. Now that I read through my post, sorry I sounded a bit blunt 0.0 I've been on too many troll-haunted places lately and keep forgetting to tone it down to normal level for Bettafish.

Well then, good luck with them if you do breed. *sigh* such pretty Bettas that "dance" in my eyes (In other words I imagine pretty fry coming from them ^.^)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #26 
Abby

Random and no offence question....but if you have been in the betta hobby so long how come you dont know the tail types of your fish?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I was like jacob - I simply loved them and didn't care what their tails/color were called. I began taking notice since 2005 ...... about 20 yrs later.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #28 
Landon21
Banned

Its no problem guess just felt cornered lol. Ive never had plakats ive OLNY had and bred the "petsmart type bettas". Im trying to condition them but the female refuses to eat anything but pellets! What do i do in a situation like this?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #29 
briser

You said in the first post in this thread that you weren't planning on breeding them, I'm a little confused.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #30 
Landon21
Banned

things change