Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 
Scandalicious

my mom gave me a betta for my bday, now what?!?

Hi,
I am new to the forum but could use some advice. I received a female betta for my bday named Lulu, but she doesn't seem happy. I read the FAQs on here but I am not sure exactly what I am doing wrong or if I am over reacting.

Lulu looks healthy but she doesn't eat. I must have brought 3 different types of food and the only thing i've witnessed her eat was the dried blood worms i brought from petco and that was one time. she could be eating when i walk away to get the net to clean the left overs out but i highly doubt that.

I've only had her about 2 1/2 weeks and so far she has gotten a live plant in her tank, rocks that promote healthy bacteria, I use the betta conditioner water drops, her water is changed weekly (this week it was a 75% water change), no food is left to rot in the tank, the water is warm enough but she still doesn't do much of anything.

some days she swims around and seems ok. Ive caught her "relaxing" under the leaves of the plant in her tank. Other days she just stays at the bottom of the tank, just swimming around enough to get air and then return to the bottom of the tank (like today).

I tried Googling some pics of sick bettas to see if I am missing something but I don't see anything on her that would cause alarm, but then again I am new to betta ownership.

When I went to petco to read their guide they said bettas only need to be fed 3xs a week and made it seem that her non activeness was ok, but on sites like this her non-activeness is a red flag.

I am going to post a pic of her to see if someone can spot illness, but I am lost at what to do.

Thanks for your help!
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

Did you try crushing the pellets/flakes? The food could be hard for her to swallow. I haven't tried this myself, but I read on here plenty of times that pre-soaking the pellets in garlic juice was good for them. I would see how she does with the bloodworms and then sneak real food on her one day. Betta fish sure can be picky!! Also, how big of a tank is she in?
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Her mouth is very very tiny - my betta eats the 'Micropellets' from Hikari. Lots of good luck with Lulu. The size of your tank will be helpful. Do you have a filter? Do you have a heater?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i've a female named Lulu, too! x3

pictures of her will be helpful. what temp is the water? sometimes, colder water can make them not want to do much. hope your Lulu feels better!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #5 
Silverfang

I know my boy will spit out the pellets, even crushed up, and his flakes have to be crumbled, so he might just be a fussy eater.
You didn't mention if her tank was heated, I know my boy is so much happier with his, a thermometer will tell you if his temperature is okay
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 
Scandalicious

Thanks for the quick replies....

The tank is about 1 gallon if I remember correctly (it came with Lulu). According to the thermometer the water is within the range that is good for them, and because the water temp seems fine I didn't bother getting a heater. I do not have a filter yet, but I figured since the tank was a gallon she should be fine with weekly water changes but maybe that's not correct. Again I keep getting conflicted info on that from petco and online websites.

I do use the micropellets by Hikari. She doesn't seem interested. I have broken up the blood worms into smaller pieces but still haven't seen her eat much.

I tried taking pics with my BB last night and I wasn't getting the best shot, so when I went to get my camera she had retreated behind a leaf. Can't say I blame her on that. I will get some pics tonight when I return home.

She doesn't always lay on the rocks, some days shes mid level in the water under a leaf, another day i caught her near the surface under a leaf and this morning she was kind of hanging out with her tail near the gravel but her body facing upward at an angle.

When I go to the tank she will look at me or swim towards me, but again based on the descriptions on this board she isn't happy or she is sick.

Thanks for all your help and I will post the pics tonight.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Petco gives out terrible info! You should feed her 6-7 days a week, around 2 pellets twice a day. What exact is the temp? Bettas need a stable temperature in the 77-82 range. In a 1 gallon, you need to be doing two or three 50% changes and one 100% change per week because ammonia builds up quickly in such a small tank.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

Definitely more water changes. I like to do 100% water changes though. I would do 100% water changes about every 3 days.

But i think he might have some kind of infection. If he lying or hiding most of the time and not eating.

I think he needs to be treated with Aquarium salt and 100% water changes every day or be treated with antibacterial gram positive and gram negative medications

I think after 2 1/2 wk they already adapted to the new environment and to the water temperature.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #9 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Petco gives out terrible info! You should feed her 6-7 days a week, around 2 pellets twice a day. What exact is the temp? Bettas need a stable temperature in the 77-82 range. In a 1 gallon, you need to be doing two or three 50% changes and one 100% change per week because ammonia builds up quickly in such a small tank.
i drop the food in daily although petco says not to. the water is about 77 according to the thermometer.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #10 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Definitely more water changes. I like to do 100% water changes though. I would do 100% water changes about every 3 days.

But i think he might have some kind of infection. If he lying or hiding most of the time and not eating.

I think he needs to be treated with Aquarium salt and 100% water changes every day or be treated with antibacterial gram positive and gram negative medications

I think after 2 1/2 wk they already adapted to the new environment and to the water temperature.
i'm going to petco to get a filter and some meds for her. hopefully that will help.

i have a meeting at work so i'll report back with answers and pics later today.

thanks again for your help.