Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #11 
Bettaluver4evr

I'm sorry about Lulu! Well, this forum is very helpful, I second everything listed. One thing you could do, does this tank have a light, or do you have a warm lamp? That could heat the water up a little more, which might make her happier. :) Best of luck, waiting for pics. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Definitely more water changes. I like to do 100% water changes though. I would do 100% water changes about every 3 days.

But i think he might have some kind of infection. If he lying or hiding most of the time and not eating.

I think he needs to be treated with Aquarium salt and 100% water changes every day or be treated with antibacterial gram positive and gram negative medications

I think after 2 1/2 wk they already adapted to the new environment and to the water temperature.
No, why would you treat something you dont know with such intense medications? Thats like you or I taking penecillin for a cold. Chances are, youre just going to over medicate...

Not everything strange that a betta does implies infection, anhel. :/

Op, water changes, a proper temperature, and (maybe) a dosing of aquarium salt 1tsp/gallon with 100% daily water changes and a redosing of the salt (for no more than 10 days) is all you need for now. Nothing but the lethargy points to infection, and even that is a stretch.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #13 
Scandalicious

this is the best pic i could snap of lulu

she seems to be doing a bit better today, she was more active but other than that still not eating and not doing much swimming
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #14 
bahamut285

I'm honestly going to put it out there that you should get a heater, and/or maybe a bigger tank.

When I first had my girl in her spacious quarantine tank, I had the temperature set to a 78 degrees. She also acted similarly...not doing much, being picky about food, lazing around. When I put her into her *slightly* bigger permanent tank, and put in the adjustable heater to 80F she became very sprightly, eating like a pig, exploring everything.

Oh I also noticed that you only have a plant...if you have the space, I suggest putting in a little cave for her to hide in, it makes them more comfortable :)

She's very cute by the way, I love that face!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #15 
JKfish

Okay, here are the basics. If your tank doesn't match these (roughly), then don't get meds. First make sure she's in a suitable habitat before you rule out just bad living conditions as a cause. If you need anything cheaply, just ask, there are a bajillion ways to find decent quality but proper sized equipment for less than you would think :)

Tank: IMO, 2 gallons minimum.
Temp: 78-80* F
Water changes: in a 2 gallon: 50% twice a week and 100% once a week.
In your current 1 gallon: 100% every other day.
Feeding: high quality pellets (40% protien with first 3 ingredients as some form of meat)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #16 
sjones

Wow she is so cute.

I really think the most important thing you can do for your betta's health is more frequent water changes. In a 1 gallon bowl she should be getting water changes every other day at 100%.
Did you read the part of the care sheet about ammonia build up? Ammonia constantly comes out of your fish (I believe when they breath and also process waste) It is clear and invisible and toxic to your fish.
If you don't do the water changes it will build up over time and hurt your fish, that is why you have to do 100% changes because even a little ammonia will build up.
When you do a water changes make sure the new water is the same temperature as the old water you took out of the tank.
I put my betta in a cup and fill his tank with the new water, I have a thermometer that's glass witha little suction cup that adheres to the inside of the bowl ($2 Walmart) I run water from my tap to the same temperature and put it in the bowl. Then I add dechlorinator (very important).
If it's only 1 gallon and you don't have a heater you could fill a gallon water jug and let it sit for 24 hours and them it should be the same temp as the old water you are replacing.

Do not depend on a lamp for heat! I t could heat the water way to high and kill your fish and also the temperature fluctuations when you turn the lamp off are not good for your fish.

The temperature of your tank is always colder than the temperature of your room, so get an interior thermometer if you don't already have one (you could even use a meat thermometer in the water as long as it is clean and doesn't have any soap on it-just stick it in to get the temp-don't leave it in as metal is not good to be in your fish tank)

Does she swim like a normal betta fish? I am asking because she seems hunched up the photo which may indicated swim bladder disease or a spinal deformity. If this is the case it would explain the hard time swimming. There are many things you can do to make life easier for a fish with swim bladder disease so don't worry if so.. If you could get a picture of how she normally swims that might help. My new bettas have gone off food for weeks at a time and it doesnt mean they will starve..sometimes it just takes time for them to adjust.

Good luck!

Last edited by sjones; 04-04-2011 at 09:41 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #17 
Scandalicious

she does swim normally, she just hutches up at times, like last night.

There is a lot of good info in here, I just have to figure out where to start.

Assuming all these problems are environment related, would getting a cover for the tank help with temperature problems or do I really need to get a heater?

If i get a heater how do I find one that is for small tanks? Are there certain specs to look for?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #18 
Scandalicious

i just came back to update this thread.

yesterday i decided to buy a bigger tank with a filter because to be honest my schedule is so crazy i don't even think i can make time to do that many water changes to meet lulu's needs and it would be mean not to take care of her like she deserves

so i set up the bigger tank last night and monitored the tank this morning before i put her in. i was debating back and forth as to whether i am over reacting or not, but then i decided since i already brought the stuff i might as well use it.

so this morning i put her in and she was checking out her new digs as i was getting ready to leave. she seemed to like the new home for the limited time i could monitor her (which was 15mins), but one thing i did notice was that the current seemed too powerful for her little body. every time she went near the filter she looked like she was having trouble swimming by. (geez if its not one thing its another)

the tank is a tall hexagon shape, that holds 2 gallons of water.
here is the pic and specs
http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...-Aquarium.aspx

it could be she needs time to get used to the new additions in her tank. i will check on her when i get home, but i'm just trying to get this stuff right.

the tank isn't that big but she has 1 live plant and 2 plastic plants. i thought about getting her a little cave or something to hide in but the tank is tall, not wide so i'm not sure how to work that out so she will have enough room to "explore"

the tank has a light, a top and so on.

anyway any other advice you can give would be great
Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #19 
JKfish

That's awesome :D. She should be a good bit happier with the extra space and better water quality.

Yes, you do need a heater, because at night the temps do drop. You can buy a little submersible heating pad from walmart, but make sure to monitor the temperatures, sometimes they can be a bit sketchy.

You can try to baffle the flow by lifting the filter a bit out of the water, and if that doesn't work, get some filter sponge media (2 dollars or so at petsmart or petco), and then rubberband it infront of the outflow.

In there, you'll be doing 2 50% and 1 100% a week. If you have a siphon, the water changes will go extremely quickly :). And if you find that the water conditioner doesn't last as long as you'd like, prime is wonderful and will last a while since you only need 2 drops per gallon.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #20 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
That's awesome :D. She should be a good bit happier with the extra space and better water quality.

Yes, you do need a heater, because at night the temps do drop. You can buy a little submersible heating pad from walmart, but make sure to monitor the temperatures, sometimes they can be a bit sketchy.

You can try to baffle the flow by lifting the filter a bit out of the water, and if that doesn't work, get some filter sponge media (2 dollars or so at petsmart or petco), and then rubberband it infront of the outflow.

In there, you'll be doing 2 50% and 1 100% a week. If you have a siphon, the water changes will go extremely quickly :). And if you find that the water conditioner doesn't last as long as you'd like, prime is wonderful and will last a while since you only need 2 drops per gallon.
thanks for the info. can you elaborate on the bolded? i'm not sure i am completely clear on what you are saying