Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1 
kpullen89

I've created a monster.

^^ That is my sweet, sweet Fiona. Or so I thought!! I bought a 10 gallon tank and started a sorority (with 4 girls) about 3 weeks ago. I followed the sorority sticky on all it's instructions. Fiona is OBVIOUSLY the dominant one. She nips and chases the rest of the girls. The aggression has gone down quite a bit, and their fins are repairing themselves (with my help of course). The girls are still aggressive with each other from time to time though.. I'm just stressing every time I see them nip. Should the aggression last this long or do I need to separate them?
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

Perhaps you should try adding another female since it is recommended to have AT LEAST 5. Just a thought.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
kpullen89

The sticky said it was recommended to have AT LEAST 4. I was trying not to overcrowd the tank.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 
Chard56

I usually have 20 to 100 females in some of my tanks. I had this one little Chocolate girl that would go around just picking on all of the others. I bought a female that just looked a little different and was pretty big that turned out to be a Halfgiant. I couldn't get her to breed so I put her in the sorority tank with the Chocolate female. Everytime the little one would try to pick on another female the Halfgiant would stop her and run her off but would not pick on any of them herself. You could always try giving her a time out for a few days of solitary confinement before reintroducing her. In a ten gallon tank I would have 20 or 30 females but I do a lot of water changes. Don't let anyone tell you that 8 or 10 is to many for a ten gallon. I overcrowd them and get away with it but I do not recommend that you do. Adding more than one at a time and rearranging the tank when you do changes the whole concept of their heirarchy. That will confuse the pecking order most likely.

Last edited by Chard56; 04-04-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Ah, well most of the members suggest 5 so idk. I have 5 myself and they all get along and keep one another in check at times. Try adding another female...it won't overcrowd the tank.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #6 
kpullen89

Alrighty I think I'll try that. I do have an extra tank I can put her in for ..3-4 days? Is that a sufficient time out?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 
kpullen89

Hmm I may try that too. If the time out doesn't work, I'll search for a new girl to add. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #8 
CrowntailxKing

No problem! Make sure she isn't too small. Is Fiona larger than the others or about the same?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 
Chard56

Try the three day maximum security solitary first and a week next time if it doesn't work. That method doesn't work with confirmed repeat offenders or anti social overly aggressive females.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
Ah, well most of the members suggest 5 so idk. I have 5 myself and they all get along and keep one another in check at times. Try adding another female...it won't overcrowd the tank.

i got one sorority with 3 and another with 4 but all seven are sisters (same spawn)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote