Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #1 
tracyalexa

advice? am i doing ok?

I purchased a marineland 2 gal heated filtered tank. Bought a live plant as well. Filled the tank with conditioned water. Let it run for about 26 hrs. Floated my guy in there for about N hour. Placed him in there yesterday evening. He is all over the tank. Eating well. Seems happy.
So here are my questions. 1. Do the filters bother them due to the current? 2. How many water changes are needed? I've read a few different thing so I want to be sure. I don't have gravel. Just the plant. Going today to buy him a castle.

Any suggestions to ensure he's a happy thriving fish? I see so many posts of people doing it it wrong and while I am a very experienced pet owner, fish are new to me.

Thanks in advance.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #2 
tracyalexa

Oh yeah, his tank is 80 degrees. I am feeding pellets and for treats the lil stringy betta food. Not sure of the name....not at home right now.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #3 
SomeDudeAtHome

Congrats on your new betta! Sounds like you've done a lot of things right to me. I personally have no experience with a tank smaller than 5 gallons so I can't really answer the water change question but I'm sure someone will answer it for you. For the current, if your betta doesn't seemed bothered by it than it's probably not a problem but if he is then try this.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-baffle-30139/

I've done this with my filter and it works great. Also if fish are new to you than I suggest reading this thread too.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
I purchased a marineland 2 gal heated filtered tank. Bought a live plant as well. Filled the tank with conditioned water. Let it run for about 26 hrs. Floated my guy in there for about N hour. Placed him in there yesterday evening. He is all over the tank. Eating well. Seems happy.
So here are my questions. 1. Do the filters bother them due to the current? 2. How many water changes are needed? I've read a few different thing so I want to be sure. I don't have gravel. Just the plant. Going today to buy him a castle.

Any suggestions to ensure he's a happy thriving fish? I see so many posts of people doing it it wrong and while I am a very experienced pet owner, fish are new to me.

Thanks in advance.
Hey!
Great job at making your betta comfortable in his new home! Sounds like you did every thing right, be proud! :D Since you have a filter, I would think water changes should be 50% twice a week, one 50% just water, the other 50% water change including gravel vacuuming, just to get out any poopies or food that may be lying around. As for the filter, keep an eye on it, and you might want to consider baffling it as the previous poster recommended. Filter currents can really stress them out and some of the strong ones are know to suck them up! :o So just monitor him. ^^

Grats on your new betta! I hope to see pictures soon! :D

Last edited by denaliwind; 04-02-2011 at 10:30 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #5 
TheCrysCat

Haha, everyone stole what I was going to say XD Anyway, yeah. You seem to be doing everything right, as indicated by your betta being nice and active. And is the "little stringy food" bloodworms by any chance? ;)
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #6 
kfish

You should get more live plants! They're awesome and will keep your water quality good between changes. :)

A lot of people with tanks around 2 gallons do 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change per week. If you get more live plants, you can get away with 2-3 50% changes. The best way to know is to test your water, though!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #7 
TheCrysCat

^Yup, I do a 50% and a 100% for all of my fishies, and they're in 2.5 gals.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
Pekemom

Congrats on your new betta, Tracy! We love pictures so try to post a few!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #9 
tracyalexa

Thanks guys. I have several bettas now. I think that might be frowned upon here ? But I've literally been reading on here for weeks. And i hope I'm smart enough to take quick action if something goes wrong. Fingers crossed! But seems everytime I go out I fall in love with another sad looking lil guy. Lol.

In any case, we have a pretty great aquatic store here and they hand pick their bettas every couple of weeks. They are patient and have been wonderful educating me the last few weeks.

I did go to petco Saturday and the fish person there told me I had to feed the plant? So, do u all know if that's accurate?

I will update with pics of allllll my babies tomorrow from work.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #10 
kfish

Why would we frown upon you having more bettas? We'd only do that if you weren't taking care of them or if they were all in the same (undivided) tank! People are always here to answer your questions. :)

You usually don't have to feed plants. It doesn't -hurt- to fertilize, but if you have a good light or a bit of sunlight hitting the tank, it should be fine. Do you know what type of plant it is?
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote