Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Should the first fasting day be today?

Okay so he was really stressed and stuff so I gave him a few pellets...And first it was six so I thought okay that's good...He ate probably three times today...Should I fast Akira? I wanted to introduce the Bettamin flakes to his diet in the morning but should I fast him?

Note: He flared at everything after the heater scare and is always running around the tank and exploring. I know I probably fed him too many pellets but first it was seven then I ended up giving him two more.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #2 
Harley

Everybody has their own experience and suggestions, but I'll give you mine. I would probably fast for a day or so. The last thing you want is to overfeed and have the fish get bloated, then you've got bigger problems. I feed my Betta about 3-4 pellets once a day. I also give him a couple of dried blood worms instead of pellets, on one of those days. Some say to feed once or twice a day and others seem to do every other day or so. They can survive without food for a week or more but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. It seems to depend a bit on the fish. Just like humans, we all don't eat the same or as often as others.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Would it be alright to give him one pinch of flakes instead of pellets then? I don't want him to get bloated but I'm just worried. I fed my last two six times a day but I suppose it differed since Akira eats about seven a day and went from eating one twenty minutes after walking away to eating it on sight. I don't want to ruin that because I use his food to help him settle down after a round of flaring at the mirror. Would it be alright to just feed him in the evening tomorrow?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #4 
Harley

Exclamation

Can't you just stop using the mirror? If its making him freak out that much, maybe just use some other kind of decoration instead that won't cause him so much stress. Stress isn't good either. Flaring is o.k. but he shouldn't have to be calmed down from it with food. Just try letting him calm himself down for a while without the mirror. I wouldn't recommend feeding him more than twice a day and only a few pellets at a time. Any that don't get eaten in a few minutes should get scooped out to prevent water quality problems. If he likes flakes that's o.k. just don't over do it and feed too much or too often. Starting tomorrow night would probably be fine, but not too much.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

I think I worded that wrong. I gave him some extra pellets because I hold up a compact mirror to the tank. It's not there with him and it's closed for most of the day. He flares for a few minutes and chases it but then he goes around his tank patrolling it. He's begun flaring at my finger as well. I decided to fast him tomorrow and give him only a bit of flake when the clock strikes twelve. He's very active and I guess I had my previous two in the back of my mind. They rarly ate and I lost them both. Akira is a healthy young betta whom is active, explores and does the exact opposite of the other two. He even build a mini bubble nest under the thermomitor in his tank. I apologize if it sounded like the mirror was in with him 24/7 it's not. It's just a vanity mirror with a stand I'll put up to the tank for a few minutes not even that to give him some exercise. He calms himself down after patrolling the tank but I end up kinda molly-coddling him.

It's me I swear it. He's been doing well I even noticed the rays on his tail have begun to color up a bit into red. I'm still fasting him however to keep him from getting bloated and not using the mirror at all. He's seen his reflection in the tank's wall as well so he does spazz about when he notices it. Sometimes he just wiggles about like he's dancing before going to prance about in another area of the tank. The flaring is a new thing that I'm surprised of. He's now resting near the thermomitor peacefully.

Once again I'm sorry and I'm not trying to stress him out. I really did mis-word that. It's more like treating him for fighting off an enemy. (Doesn't help that he's now caught on and has now mastered the begging.)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #6 
Harley

No problem. Sounds like you've got things under control. When Harley started flaring at his reflection in the tank I got worried because he didn't seem to wanna stop. I then placed a birthday card on that side of the tank and he soon settled down. I haven't seen him do it since. I don't know if it was the card or he just figured out that he couldn't attack his own reflection Hope everything goes well for you and Akira!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks! I think everything is going well so far. He's exploring he's made bubbles all over the tank and he's been eating well...I just molly-coddled him a bit too much it seems. ^^; So tomorrow he'll be fasting and no flaring unless he sees his own reflection. (I might tape one of my drawings to the tank to keep him from trying that. He's a sneaky little fish.)

Thanks again for the advice. I really do want everything to go well.

Although...It seems my fish is more of a dork then I first believed. Since day one he's curled up between the glass and the thermomitor to 'sleep' in. Every night like clock work. The rest of the day he's resting on leaves and playing around like a loon. That's Aki for ya. Keeps me on my toes with all of his antics. XD