Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #1 
chelsmarie23

I am SO guilty.

So last night I went to Walmart to pick up some frozen lasagna and I decided to check out the betta fish (which were on the other side of the store!). I walked over and there was this young deep purple spade tale (I think). He had a dark purple mask and the ends of his fins were gorgeously white. What really got me though was that he had made a beautiful bubble nest in less than an inch of water. Something overcame me. It was probably my betta craziness. I grabbed it impulsively and checked out. He was healthy and so pretty! I couldn't just let him be like the other bettas there; it would have been a waste!! My Walmart takes awful care of their fish and he would have probably rotted and died!

Now let me make this clear: I am an animal lover. And I believe that is a curse as well as a blessing. My nanna made it clear to me that I could not have ANYMORE BETTAS. (I live with my grandmother.) I took him home and placed him in Ignacio's old bowl and I have him in a cupboard type thing. Don't worry!! His is getting plenty of light! The only time I close it is when my door is opened and my nanna's home. I have to go out today and purchase a bowl heater for him.

Only a few people know that I have him and I'm going to try to keep him a secret before I move out in a couple months. I'm also worried (for some strange reason) because he is my second betta. I didn't think I would be starting a betta hotel. (No offense to any of you. I think it is amazing that you all of so many bettas.) But I'm going to work as hard as I can to keep my two men happy.

My new friend is currently in a 1 gallon bowl. This will have to do for now, but I'm pretty sure he is in Heaven at the moment. All that is in there is some rocks. (I figured he should enjoy the space because he had such little water in his cup.)

I just needed somewhere to put my emotions and worries. I know many of you can relate to my situation. So. I'm just wondering. Do you think I did the right thing.
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #2 
tracyalexa

I can relate. Seems like every time I see one, I feel bad & want it! However, I am a 30+ yr old woman with her own house & no one to tell me what to do. lol. Sounds like your aware of doing the right thing for him so I would say yes. *just remember the heater* ;)
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 
chelsmarie23

Thanks! I just got him a heater and a little plant for his bowl. I've decided to store him at my mother's and care for him over there. He seems so happy. But he hasn't eaten yet.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #4 
tracyalexa

I am far from an expert, however, I think I've read 50% of the threads on here so far! They say the newer ones sometimes don't eat at first. I noticed that with the one I got Sat as well. He has only eaten a teenie tiny bit so far.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
chelsmarie23

Whew good! I was worried. Alright then :] Thank you! He is active otherwise.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 
Tomsk

Goodluck with your "secret" Betta!.
We all do something on impulse because our hearts tell us to do it.I could say that buying fish from that shop will mean they will just get more and that not buying from them will help stop that...but I can also agree that maybe I'd do the same .
Your new guy is a lucky Betta and I hope you don't get in trouble for buying him
/salute

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 
Abby

...Pictures? -innocent look-
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 
chelsmarie23

Hehe thanks Tomsk. I have decided to house him with a relative at the moment... I decided I didn't want to live in fear. lol. I will go and feed him and spend time with him every day and change water every other day. I'm moving out in a few months and I will be taking him with me. He is uber happy. I'm so excited to see him tomorrow!

And Abby, here are some pics. I know he looks red, but the flash makes him look that way. He is really violet with an even purpler mask. He is a spade tail and has white trim around his tail.

I could not get him to stay still for long. And btw, I know his bowl looks small in the pictures, but it is 1 gallon. :] I have decided to name him Weezy. :]
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #9 
Torat

He's beautiful :D
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #10 
chelsmarie23

Thanks :] He is trying to make bubble nests this morning, but it seems his bubbles are too small and they are popping. However, he is persistent!