Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #11 
ireland

Thank you monroe. All of the fry are horizontal-free swimming today. Should I feed them anything or should I just let them explore and eat micro critters in the tank first? And should I take out the father or take the more natural route and leave him in there with the fry and just feed him to make sure hunger doesn't give him any strange idea?
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Depending on how mature the tank is, number of live plants, number of fry and if you have lots of common snails to help produce lots of microorganisms...you may not need to add food yet...in my natural planted 10gal I usually don't even add any extra food for a week or more after the fry are free swimming...but my spawning tanks are really mature.....I watch the fry and observe their tummies...if they are nice and round with little black dots...I know they have plenty of micro-critters they are feeding on....

As far a leaving or removing the male....for me this varies-if I know he is a good father I leave him until I need him for another spawn-I like to leave the male in as long as I can in most cases and it also depends on how important that spawn is too....sometimes- if those fry are really important I remove the male sometimes as early as the day of or day after hatch and if the male is unknown to me or his maternal skills...I remove early...it varies from spawn to spawn.......I always feed my males before, during and after......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #13 
ireland

Hmmm I spent hours starring at the tank and the father seems to do a good job and doesn't seem to have a taste for his children, so I'm deciding to leave him in there with them. I'm not 100% confident that the tank has fully mature because I did washed and sterilized the tank a few weeks earlier, but put in plants, driftwood, and snails from a well established planted tank, so I am going to feed them microworms just to be on the safe side. Thank you Oldfishlady.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #14 
ireland

I thought since everyone has been so helpfull and supportive I should try to get a picture of the tank. Not quite the quality I wanted, but that's what happens when you have IAL leaves darkening the water, lots of floating plants blocking the lights even more, and especially with the use of a camera phone.

When I said "fill to the top" I actually meant almost fill to the top. I had to leave a 1-2inch gap so that I could fit the styrofoam cup (which I took out this morning). And the reason why the thermometer is sort of out there is because I was trying to make room for the styrofoam cup.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #15 
Ethan

Awesome breeding setup
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #16 
Dragonlady

Yay for free swimming fry! I think you will have better luck this time.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #17 
ireland

Thank you both, and I think so too. This time around I can actually see the fry eating the infusoria and microworms, it was quite pleasing.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like they are doing well.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #19 
ireland

Yes they are, they'll be one week tomarow
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #20 
ireland

The numbers are down to somewhere around 20, which was where I had suspected the numbers to be. The remaining fry are strong and active, but there are a few that are lethargic and doesn't seem like they are going to make it. I started to feed them BBS today and they seem to be taking them very well (orange bellys). I will keep you guys posted with their progress.