Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

My older guy Cleo did the same thing...Scared me! I thought he was dead there a few times until I would lift the intake tube and he would swim off fast..I ended up cutting a piece of aquarium sponge thin and the size of the intake thing and I rubber banded it around. It worked, but my tank started to look a bit dirty after a month..I don't think it was letting the filter do its job too well. I took it off and ever since he hasn't done it again? I believe he was doing it because he enjoyed it,haha.Maybe he hasnt noticed the sponge is gone yet..haha I am going to try a pre filter sponge soon though.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #12 
peachesxo

well, this has me a little intrigued.. all this time i thought sumo had finrot he may have been getting his tail stuck on the filter...

good thing i ripped my panthose this morning trying to get it on for work, i'm going to cover it and see if he improves now...
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #13 
JaspersANGEL

If u do the panty hose trick, remember to take it off and rinse it every water change like u'd do ur filter cartridge (granted if the cartridge is aquarium foam).
And u can leave the filter running for an hour or so without any baffle's on, for the water to clear a bit...then replace the baffle.

That's the part I hated, replacing the baffle...I'm not a fan of placing my dirty hand's in the tank water to replace a baffle.

So if any of u have a trick for that please share, I'd like to know too?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #14 
peachesxo

I've never replaced any of my baffles o.O
But then again I use plastic plants on the out-take only so far..
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #15 
iheartmybettas

Fluval also makes an intake sponge that I have on all of my tanks. They are $2.99 at petsmart or petco.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #16 
DaveC

When they were still little one of my goldfish got itself pinned to the filter intake. I powered down the filter and he swam off. The suction was just a bit too strong for him to get off on his own.

Either panyhose to protect his fins, or a sponge to reduce the filter suction would probably be the easiest fix.

It made me paranoid about leaving my tank alone with the filter turned on for a while.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #17 
bamsuddenimpact

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaspersANGEL View Post
If u do the panty hose trick, remember to take it off and rinse it every water change like u'd do ur filter cartridge (granted if the cartridge is aquarium foam).
And u can leave the filter running for an hour or so without any baffle's on, for the water to clear a bit...then replace the baffle.

That's the part I hated, replacing the baffle...I'm not a fan of placing my dirty hand's in the tank water to replace a baffle.

So if any of u have a trick for that please share, I'd like to know too?
I havent tried this, but possibly taking the filter out, putting on the baffle, then placing it back into the water??
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote