Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #1 
ChristinaChi

Unhappy No clue what is wrong with my Betta...

My new Betta is behaving perfectly fine-swimming around, fins upright,eats, blows bubble nests and his color is vibrant,too. BUT he has this strange patch between his eyes.......I did see him stick his face into the intake of the water filter-I don't know if he injured himself or if he somehow has a disease. I have had him for about 1.5 weeks.....tank was cycled before he showed up
I have a picture but need to figure out how to post it here!
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 72F
Does your tank have a filter? yes-carbon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no air stone
Is your tank heated? yes-with a heater that has a thermostat
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? apple snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day-a teensy amount

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3 ( I exchange 1 gallon of fresh water)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NovAqua and Amquel

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? YES
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5- 8
Hardness:150
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? a blemish between his eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two days ago-one scale came off in that area---now it seems the blemish is a bit bigger
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no-new fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea-seems small(one of the smallest in the aquarium shop)
Attached Images

ChristinaChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

First off, are you feeding anything else besides bloodworms? They should be used only as a treat a few times a week rather than as an everyday meal. Looks like to me he has a fungal infection. Do you add Aquarium Salt to the water? If not, you ma want to invest in some. Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite levels seem low, so just make sure that they stay that way. Hope your little buddy recovers!
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 
bettafish15

For one, your tank temperature is much too low. Bettas need to be in the 77-82F range. :) Also, how did you cycle your tank? I've heard it was impossible to cycle anything under 5 gallons because of the small body of water. It looks like he lost some scales, could be from when he stuck his head in the intake like you said... make sure to give him super clean water and pre-mixed AQ salt to help ward off any nasties :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #4 
ChristinaChi

No- I don't add aquarium salt. If that is something I should be adding, then I will go buy some tomorrow. So, CrowntailxKing to you it looks like sth fungal? Anybody else think the same?
And, bettafish15, I am so new to all of this- I have been doing my best at it since 1.5 years only and I keep running across new info. I haven't read anything online yet about it being impossible/bad to try to cycle a smaller tank. I had a betta that died prior to this one....so what I did to cycle the tank(since I wasn't sure if whatever my other fish had would stick around to haunt the newbie) was to buy new gravel, but i left the filter, and water heater untouched and added some rocks that had been in the previous tank, then added some betta pellets....did water tests for maybe 45 days, waited for the ammonia/nitrite spikes to abate. Since I got the new guy, I have been testing the water every 2-3 days...............it seems absolutely stable. And I will up the temps a bit, according to your suggestion.
If other agree that this might be fungal-what kind of medication should I get? PetSmart is nearest to me and their assortment seems relatively limited regarding brands.
ChristinaChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
For one, your tank temperature is much too low. Bettas need to be in the 77-82F range. :) Also, how did you cycle your tank? I've heard it was impossible to cycle anything under 5 gallons because of the small body of water. It looks like he lost some scales, could be from when he stuck his head in the intake like you said... make sure to give him super clean water and pre-mixed AQ salt to help ward off any nasties :)
My 2.5 tank is cycled. Filters help with cycling because they are the primary source for housing the bacteria. And if this is a fungal infection, you don't want to raise the temperature because then it could spread.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #6 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
One thing: If you still have the snail remove it and place it elswhere during whatever method you choose to use to treat your Betta. Just to be on the safe side.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #7 
CrowntailxKing

ChristinaChi, if you read my second post in response to bettafish15, I would not recommend turning the heat up in case this IS a fungal infection. It could spread in higher temperatures. Add the aquarium salt and that should be enough. Do not worry about medication right now, as the spot seems pretty small. If the salt isn't doing the job after a few days, just ask one of the clerks what they carry to treat fungal infections.

Also, as a P.S., it is not impossible to cycle a 3 gallon tank. I cycled my 2.5 tank without even trying. I read somewhere about cycling the tank before putting fish in it a few weeks ago and I was like "OH NO! I didn't cycle it!" :O So I bought some test strips and the ammonia/nitrate level was 0 and the nitrite level was low. I think as long as you have a filter, live plants, and plenty of decor to make more surface area then your tank will cycle just fine.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #8 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
First off, are you feeding anything else besides bloodworms? They should be used only as a treat a few times a week rather than as an everyday meal. Looks like to me he has a fungal infection. Do you add Aquarium Salt to the water? If not, you ma want to invest in some. Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite levels seem low, so just make sure that they stay that way. Hope your little buddy recovers!

Not a fungus. scale damage. and AS doesnt cure EVERYTHING. ive had and successfully beaten fungus's popeye scale damage and major fin damage with simple care, clean water and BASIC medication (primafix)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #9 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post

i cycled my tanks no worries O.o ???
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaChi View Post
No- I don't add aquarium salt. If that is something I should be adding, then I will go buy some tomorrow. So, CrowntailxKing to you it looks like sth fungal? Anybody else think the same?
And, bettafish15, I am so new to all of this- I have been doing my best at it since 1.5 years only and I keep running across new info. I haven't read anything online yet about it being impossible/bad to try to cycle a smaller tank. I had a betta that died prior to this one....so what I did to cycle the tank(since I wasn't sure if whatever my other fish had would stick around to haunt the newbie) was to buy new gravel, but i left the filter, and water heater untouched and added some rocks that had been in the previous tank, then added some betta pellets....did water tests for maybe 45 days, waited for the ammonia/nitrite spikes to abate. Since I got the new guy, I have been testing the water every 2-3 days...............it seems absolutely stable. And I will up the temps a bit, according to your suggestion.
If other agree that this might be fungal-what kind of medication should I get? PetSmart is nearest to me and their assortment seems relatively limited regarding brands.

not a fungus. my tanks and ive three and my partner one currently but my tanks (two r 5 gals) only took 3 weeks to cycle my partners reef tank cycled in a week