Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 
Fieldz

New to Betta and ALL

Hey everyone. Well, i really like Bettas because i have something to do ( you know, sometimes you get bored and you have nothing to do or while you are watching the internet :P ) everyday.

Ok, starting off i know NOTHING about Bettas ( well, just a little bit because i read this forum ALOT and i had one before with no filters, nothing ).

I can spend a maximum of 150 dollars at all.

Which temperature is IDEAL to my Betta ( i will have one because i am just starting ) ?

Are filters really necessary? Which one is the best and most affordable for 2-4g ?

I know the water can be Tap but i must add the dechlori..whatever which i will buy ( bettasafe ).

Giving him only pellets and flakes which have all nutrients necessary will be enough?

Changing the water 75%-100% once a week will be enough? That surely wont be a problem because i have enough buckets which have only been water cleaned without soap,...

Ok and last one. I know it sounds strange and all but, what should i buy as a First-aid kit? I saw the forum and MANY users have problems with their ``pets´´ which can be solved in seconds.

Thanks a lot for all, Fieldz ( i know my english isn't PERFECT but you can understand it and i can understand you :P ).
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Hey everyone. Well, i really like Bettas because i have something to do ( you know, sometimes you get bored and you have nothing to do or while you are watching the internet :P ) everyday.

Ok, starting off i know NOTHING about Bettas ( well, just a little bit because i read this forum ALOT and i had one before with no filters, nothing ).

I can spend a maximum of 150 dollars at all.
This is a great budget. You can get what you need with this, for sure!
Which temperature is IDEAL to my Betta ( i will have one because i am just starting ) ?
77-82' is ideal, which is achieved by having a heater.

Are filters really necessary? Which one is the best and most affordable for 2-4g ? No they are not. But, if you have one, you do not need to make 100% water changes, which is nice. You can also use the filter to cycle a tank if over 2.5 gallons.
It really depends on the tank's size and shape, if you are more specific, members can recommend better.
I know the water can be Tap but i must add the dechlori..whatever which i will buy ( bettasafe ).
Dechlorinator/conditioner is a must, look for ones that remove chloramine and heavy metals, as well. Most are the same, theyre all pretty much identical, except the ones that also remove ammonia, like prime.
Giving him only pellets and flakes which have all nutrients necessary will be enough?
Yes, this is fine. Look for foods with at least 40% protien. Flakes can be messy, and pellets are usually suggested.

Changing the water 75%-100% once a week will be enough? That surely wont be a problem because i have enough buckets which have only been water cleaned without soap,...
No. You should clean a 2 gallon twice a week 50% each time if filtered at the least, a three gallon and four gallon the same. This is AT LEAST! If not filtered, once a week you need a 100% change. The bucket thing is good.

Ok and last one. I know it sounds strange and all but, what should i buy as a First-aid kit? I saw the forum and MANY users have problems with their ``pets´´ which can be solved in seconds.
Most first aid kits for bettas are gimmicks. Things you should get, though, are aquarium salt, dechlorinator and perhaps epsom salt. Buy the medicines when you need them. You dont want to over medicate your fish! Fish do get sick, and lots of members post needing help. However, most problems can be solved with just more frequent water changes, aq salt and warmer water.

Thanks a lot for all, Fieldz ( i know my english isn't PERFECT but you can understand it and i can understand you :P ).
In my sig there is a help guide on bettas, check it out if you want, as well as the other stickies in the care section!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Thank you alooooooooooottttttt PewPewPew. I will buy a Betta as soon as i can because i really enjoy them ( i dont know when but in about 3 months since im moving from Europe to Brazil and i don`t want to let a little fish i would own for 3 months with someone else i dont even know).
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Haha, aww. Good luck to you, I hope things work out for you and your future friend <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Hi, Fieldz~

Welcome to the forum!! It's so good that you are getting all the information needed to be a good provider for your fish! With such a large budget, you should consider at least a five gallon tank. We hope you continue to post and look forward to see pictures of your future pet (a lucky fish!!)
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote