Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #1 
BettaMama11

Question How soon can I introduce new tankmates

Hey guys my little Lola passed away today :( and now I only have 3 of my ladies in the 10G which I gather to be a small number, although they seem to get along just fine and are always swimming at the front of the tank...Dori is still in QT so she can get better...I do have Lily that I can re-introduce but is it too soon to do that? And how do I go about adding Lily back as they seem to have established a pecking order...do I float her in the tank for a good couple of hours??

Also I did a water change yesterday...and the water has been cloudy..its clean fresh treated water with water conditioner is that normal?? I do have a filter running at all times..I also did one on Thursday but the water was cloudy after that change also..could the cloudiness have affected Lola and caused her to die? she seemed healthy..not as social as the other ladies for the past 2 days..but I just thought she was staying out of trouble..while I was gone last week I think my husband over fed them :(
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....

I would make a 50% water only change for the cloudy water and for the re-intro with the females...if the females in the tank are fairly aggressive to start you can sometimes remove them all and cup them during the water change and then re-intro all of them at the same time...make sure you have tall items in the tank that go all the way to the top to provide good cover for the less aggressive females so they can get to the top for air without being seen...by breaking the line of sight in 2-3 different areas with tall items can help keep the stress level down......

Have you posted any pic...would love to see your 10gal....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #3 
BettaMama11

Thanks for the advice!! I'm on it! the past two times i did a 50% the water remained cloudy...hopefully this time it will remain clear! I will post some pictures of the tank asap! =)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #4 
BettaMama11

is it normal for there to be fin nipping after putting Lily back in? the other three ladies were getting along great and Lily is well I guess trying to find her place? The water is clean and conditioned but still looks a little cloudy... =(
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How long has the tank been setup, what kind of additives used, any live plants, any other livestock besides the female Bettas, what kind of filter are you using and tell me about your cleaning method of the filter media, type of substrate used and how deep, photoperiod....

Not uncommon for the female to fin nip...it usually resolves with time provided that you have plenty of items in the tank to break the line of site and sometimes it never stops....it varies...so hard to say....
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 
BettaMama11

The tank has been set up for almost two months now, I use the Aqueon water conditioner, theres one anubius plant and I use the Jungle plant food tabs. There are just the 4 girls in there.

The filter is a Topfin 10. I rinse it out with hot water...I have regular gravel in there its about almost 2 inches deep? I have a sponge thing as a baffle that I bought by Aqua clear..I know I probably need to get one more plant to put in the left of the tank..I'm going to attach some pictures...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #7 
BettaMama11

Pictures of the tank! This was taken like two weeks ago??
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Nice job...your tank is lovely.....

Every time you rinse the sponge in chlorinated tap water you are killing off all the good bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle......I would only give the filter media a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows....you want the filter media to look dirty....this is good bacteria...the continued cloudy water is most likely a bacterial bloom and until you get the nitrogen cycle established it may continue to be a problem........

I would go as far as not even rinsing the filter media until you get the nitrogen cycle established and this shouldn't take long...maybe another week or so......I would make water only 50% a couple of times a week...leave the filter media alone for now unless the water flow has slowed down a lot and then just a little swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change....once the nitrogen cycle has established I would start a regular 50% weekly with substrate vacuuming to maintain water quality...

Since the only live plant is Anubias tied to something you don't have to worry about disturbing the roots in the substrate when you vacuum-also, anubias is a slow grower and doesn't need a lot of food and root tabs are not the food you want anyway...I wouldn't feed the plant unless it looks like it needs food otherwise you may just be feeding algae-often with Anubias the fish waste is all it needs....
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #9 
BettaMama11

Thank you! Oh ok....cool, thank you very much!! do you think i should get another tall plant to go in the tank? I really appreciate the advice! =) After Dori's fins get healed up do you think that I could add her further down the line? and have all 5 of my girls in there?