Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 
MysticLdy

Unhappy Fred's Sick - - Need Help!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? about a gallon - - Fred is in a bowl with a plant. He came that way as a gift.
What temperature is your tank?n/a
Does your tank have a filter?[i]no[i]
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?plant only
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?basic betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish?once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?four days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?all
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?no
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?tucking in his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?floating up - - like he can't stay down
When did you start noticing the symptoms?three days ago
Have you started treating your fish? noIf so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?not sure - - got him Oct. 2010
MysticLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

You've got one hardy betta if he's not been bothered before now. It sounds like he's sick for sure. It could be the ammonia that builds up; a gallon isn't big and will need daily changes. The chlorine in the water you aren't conditioning may be bothering him. The temperature could be low; is he lethargic?

Is the food pellets or flakes?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 
MysticLdy

I feed him flakes and my routine of care has not changed but we just moved to a new place so that is the only change in his life. I changed his water today - - bottled spring water only because I was not sure about the tap water at my new place but normally I would use tap. Yes he has been a hardy lil'guy and I named him Fred cause I joked that Fred would be dead within a week when he was given to me. Now I have grown close to Fred and want to do all I can to keep him alive.
Any suggestions will help.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....

You need to get a thermometer so you can monitor the water temp...its important to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range

You show that you don't use any additives...no dechlorinator......if not, this may be the problem......

Sudden change to different water chemistry can also be stressful on them...how did you acclimate him to the bottled water from the old tap water?

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% a week should maintain water quality...

Right now I would recommend that you-check the water temp and add a heater if needed, get dechlorinator and do a 25% water change with the tap water for the next couple of days and then slowly increase the percent daily until you reach 100% and then start a regular schedule of twice weekly water changes thereafter

What kind of live plant do you have?

If he doesn't start to improve within a day or so...you may need to do a 10day Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 
MysticLdy

Poor Fred has been sick for about three days and I changed the water today. Normally I change the water by letting a jug of tap sit for 24hrs then just completely change out the water but due to moving this week I had not set water out and just changed it today with bottled (this has been the only time I used bottled water) hoping it would make him feel better.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes when you change the source water without properly acclimating them to it can cause problems for the fish....not a lot you can do once its done except...... hope for the best.....especially if it is pH related.....sometimes bottled water is nothing more than filtered tap water that can still contain all the chemicals used to make water safe for humans to drink and why- it is important to also use a good dechlorinator when using tap or bottled water....both chlorine and chloramines can be deadly for our fish...not to mention that the filtering process can also remove all the good minerals that the fish needs......

Right now I would start small water changes (25%) with dechlorinated tap water and see if that will help him..its important to make small water changes to acclimate him slowly to the new water chemistry.....

What is the water temp? sometimes....... something as simple as too warm or cool water can be a cause and/or using water that is either much cooler or warmer than the tank water to start can shock them and why its important to us a thermometer to equalize water temp for water changes...keeping it within a couple of degrees between new and old water....when a fish is already compromised to start it can have a greater effect on them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #7 
MysticLdy

thx for the advice - - I'm a new fish owner and I have no clue off how to care for Fred but now I have this site and you - - thx. Going to change 25% water now.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
roadrunner

I hope your betta will get better. Oldfishlady gave you very good advise.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #9 
wanabegoodmom

Yes, OldFishLady gave great advice... the most important and first thing you should do is add the condition/dechlorinator to the water.
wanabegoodmom is offline   Reply With Quote