Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 
denaliwind

Considering a New Tank, Need Advice

Hey :D

I recently discovered the Ecopico Desktop Aquarium tank, it comes with LED lighting, a glass lid and a filter. My biggest concern would be the filter current. There's a video on the website and you can see the current so I'm hoping someone with filter knowledge and betta fish can tell me if they think the filter is too strong. I know nothing about filters and am unfamiliar with the type they use with the Ecopico and whether or not it could be baffled if necessary.

Thanks for the help. ^^

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/prod...co/category/3/

I do have floating plants, not sure if that would help with the current or not.

Last edited by denaliwind; 04-05-2011 at 12:37 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 
denaliwind

At the end of the video, once the tank is set up, I think it shows the best example of the filter current.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiKBj4-qXY
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Wow! That is a cool looking tank. The current doesn't look like it would be too strong. I am unfamiliar with the filter type they use with the Ecopico as well though...I have never seen one in person....but it looks like it could be baffled if it turns out to be a problem.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I am getting ready to log off. Very, Very Nice. Because of the beauty of this tank, you wouldn't want to ruin it by slowing the current from the front. Are you buying this tank setup online or is it available in your area where you can physically handle and look at the filter? If it is available where you can physically handle and look at the filter, go look at it and see if there is enough room on the inside of the filter to add additional filter media without creating an overflow or backup. Hopefully, if the tank is available to you to look at, they have one setup that you can actually view. The problem (as you probably already know) with most small tank packages are: All of the equipment within the package can be difficult to make modifications to based upon size. For me personally, I would not want to ruin the beauty of this tank by having a sponge sticking out in front. Nice lighting in the package, by the way.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #5 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Note: I have not looked at the video. I will look at it later. I am sure between all of us, we can come up with something. I may even want one after I look at the video.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 
Tisia

it looks like it may just run off an air pump, in which case you can probably just get a little control valve dealy (not finding one by itself, but this kit is pretty cheap) if it doesn't come with one, or put some knots in the tube, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #7 
bettafish15

I looked at the video, and the other videos to do with that tank on the channel, and the current is suppperrr strong. If it can be baffled, then you really should baffle it. Most of the fish in the videos were hiding in the plants because of the strong current!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I looked at the video, and the other videos to do with that tank on the channel, and the current is suppperrr strong. If it can be baffled, then you really should baffle it. Most of the fish in the videos were hiding in the plants because of the strong current!
Really? O.o I didn't get that impression at all, I thought it looked pretty gentle. Shows I'm a filter noob. xP

Thank you Tisia for the link. ^^
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #9 
luvmybetta

Since all of us are communicating via the internet...One can never be sure what is going on...on the other end of the conversation. I am guessing that by what I have read since I last posted; you have not seen this in person? So, since I am definantly interested in the complete set up. I am going to do my own research on everything in this set up. Also, if it needs any modification (which some have said it does), I am going to research the mods, as well. I have no intent on wasting money if this does not fit my needs. If I find any real good modification solutions that maintain the beauty of the complete set up, I will let you know what those are and where on the internet they can be found.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #10 
denaliwind

Haha sounds like a plan.
I have not seen it in person, I've been thinking about the tank since it came out. Esthetically wise, it has everything I want, I really love the shape and simplicity of it. It also looks like a quality tank, and I believe it's a quality company that produces it. I've searched for reviews, videos, pictures etc, but it is still a very new product so there hasn't been much said about it yet. Not to mention, I'm a filter noob so do not know if the filter is too strong or can be modified in a simple and discrete manner.