Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #1 
FishyPieces

Divider?

I have one Veil Tail Male Betta right now. Sharing his tank with a snail.
His tank is 1.5 gallons. I want to get a bigger tank, his tank is also filtered.
Could I divide his tank? Or would that be too small?
And what would I use to divide it? And how?
I want another male, but my male is very aggressive and has a small hole in his fin from flaring too much. Silly boy.

So would be too stressful for him?
Sorry, I am asking a lot.
FishyPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #2 
Slipstitch

Most of the folk on here will tell you that dividing a 1.5 gallon tank is WAY too little space. The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per inch of adult fish. Once you have a bigger tank, I suggest plastic canvas if you can't afford an actual divider. You can cut it to the size you want and it's fairly sturdy(it's plastic, lol) and allows water to flow through pretty well.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

Dividing a 1.5 gallon tank in half would be too small for the males. They like bigger spaces, so try maybe a 5 gallon tank (maybe a 3 gallon tank would work, since that would be like two 1.5 gallon tanks which is what your male is in right now). My suggestion, though, would be a 5+ gallon tank. Some stores sell glass dividers for various tank sizes, if you are like me and don't feel like making your own. I only bought dividers, for my 2.5 gallon tank for a few days while waiting till I could buy a 5 or 10 gallon tank, and Uncle Bills sold them to me for a pretty low price. Never looked for dividers at PetSmart or PetCo, so idk if they sell them or not (at least in my area).
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #4 
FishyPieces

Okay. Thank you! And I figured that would be too small. So would he be okay with having a Betta next to him? I just don't want to stress him out.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #5 
Slipstitch

As long as they aren't in the same container, it should be fine. If he starts developing horizontal lines after seeing the other betta, then put something between them to block the view.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

While I had my 2.5 gallon tank divided 3 ways (yes, that is too small, but it was temporary while I was waiting to get a 10 gallon tank and some more females for a sorority) the set up was: one side female, middle my male, and the other side another female. He seemed to be fine with the females, although he was constantly flaring to show off. No harm was done and I have heard about males constantly flaring at each other without any negative results.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #7 
FishyPieces

Okay! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Depending on what type of snail you have, you have to figure in its bio-load as well. Snails poo a lot. 1.5 would be way to small to divide. If you want to divide a tank I think the smallest I would go is a 3-5 gallon tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Actually, you should be careful about them flaring too much. It isnt good for them, and is quite stressful. They can blow out their fins, tire out, get stressed- which can leave them open to illness.

I dont suggest glass dividers, since water cannot pass through them and neither can heat. I recommend getting pre-fab ones at pet stores. Theyre a sure fire way and you dont have to worry as much about them failing.

Like the others said, do not do the 1.5 divided. Actually, unless you have a really great filter, I wouldnt even do the 3 gallon divided. It isnt a good amount of swim space for them. Especially with a good filter, which would probably be largeish...

I still say 4-5 gallons is the minimum for a divide. Four is pushing it.

I have a divided 5 and feel like its even a little small for my guys. They live well, yes, but Id hate to see it lower... And even in the 5, the ammonia (when uncylced) gets high pretty quick.

A divided 3 will need VERY frequent changes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #10 
CrowntailxKing

"I dont suggest glass dividers, since water cannot pass through them and neither can heat. I recommend getting pre-fab ones at pet stores. Theyre a sure fire way and you dont have to worry as much about them failing."

I used glass dividers. They are not flush with the sides of the tank, so there is a small space between them and the tank to let water pass through like that. I had the heater on one side of the tank and the thermometer on the complete opposite side and it went from whatever the room temp at the time was to 80 degrees. The glass dividers just don't let the current from the filter affect the other sections. Please tell me if I wasnt totally clear on all this.