Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #11 
etanico

So what I basically need to know is....
Without cycling, and without live plants: 2 water changes (1 50%, 1 full) per week.
With cycling and live plants: one full per week?

No other fish will fit in this tank, aside from a snail or ghost shrimp.
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #12 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
With cycling and live plants: one full per week?
You never do a 100% water change in a cycled tank. It's only a partial in a cycled tank; you don't want to lose all the bacteria that is clinging to the surfaces within the tank. In my 5G/cycled/planted tank, I do about 30% every 5 days. I don't know if I could go longer between changes (like once a week). This is what is working for me and my water parameters are steady.

It's a good idea to have a liquid test kit for checking your water, especially if you plan to cycle. The liquid test kits are more accurate than strips; the API master kit is a favoured one.

As well, consider the food. Pellets tend to float and be cleaner than flakes. Flakes will sink and are messier as far as keeping the tank clean.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #13 
etanico

So how does this list for Petsmart look?
-Gravel vacuum
-Ghost shrimp
-2 live plants?
-1 silk plant
-1 heater
-1 thermometer
-5lb aquarium gravel
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #14 
Canuck Fins

Looks good although I'd also add water conditioner. Prime is the one that many of us use; it's a bit more concentrated so although it costs a bit more than some brands, you use less at a time. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #15 
etanico

Well right now I use BettaSafe water conditioner. I also use TopFin pellets for food.

Do you know of any quality discount stores online that might sell more decor for the tank?

ALSO! Would Moneywort be an okay plant to put in various places around the tank?

Last edited by etanico; 04-05-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

I own three of the Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks & they are GREAT, IMO!!

You NEVER, EVER do 100% changes on a filtered tank. I do two 50% changes a week on mine, but many others only do one 50% a week once the tank is cycled - approx. 8 weeks, I believe.

Also, Prime is the best conditioner, IMO/E - just 2 drops per gal. & it takes care of all KINDS of stuff! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #17 
etanico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I own three of the Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks & they are GREAT, IMO!!

You NEVER, EVER do 100% changes on a filtered tank. I do two 50% changes a week on mine, but many others only do one 50% a week once the tank is cycled - approx. 8 weeks, I believe.

Also, Prime is the best conditioner, IMO/E - just 2 drops per gal. & it takes care of all KINDS of stuff! :)
Awesome!!
How's your tank stocked? Feel free to PM me.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #18 
russalka

For plants, I recommend getting anachris and letting it float. Petsmart does not usually have it. Petco does but make sure that it looks health, i.e. it should not look brown. Petco also has java ferns. You tie them onto a log. You could also get a small sword plant or a wendtii plant since you will have a substrate. Moneywort is good. It's roots are very small, so it tends to float. Either tie it to something with some thread or keep the lead weight on if it comes with one.

Buy either Prime or Amquel to condition the water.
You need a test tube type aquarium test kit so that you know when you need to change your water. I do a partial water change once the amonia goes above .25 ppm. I noticed that Petsmart sells a test kit for just amonia that is less that the complete test kit. I'm a couple of weeks into starting a new 5 gallon. Initially, I was changing water (2 gallons) every other day. Now I'm changing about every third day.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #19 
Tisia

last I saw if you get some of the tube plants at petco or petsmart, java fern is called something like tropical fern, but you can just look for the scientific name microsorum pteropus
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #20 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
Awesome!!
How's your tank stocked? Feel free to PM me.
Live plants, driftwood and one betta only in each tank. I have never been a big fan of putting male bettas with any other fish. I have found when I have tried it that the bettas are either bullies or get bullied.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote