Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #21 
FloridaBettas239

The best way to have a clean tank, Something you dont have to scrub all the time. Is to follow some basic guide lines..

1) Have your lights on a timer. 8-11 hours of light is fine. Anymore and you get algae blooms..
2)Cycle the aquarium. You can do this with a fish or without. Doing it with a fish gives you a stronger bacteria. You can use your betta fish or a cheap gold fish.. I have cycled all my tanks with fish..
3)Make weekly water changes.. Every week they say you should do a 20% water change. To much water taken out puts a stress on your good bacteria. Not enough and you get build up of nitrates... etc...
4)Have a fish for every part of the aquarium. I know its only a 5 gallon.
but they have cory catfish that will get any left over food. They only get 2 inches usally, Mine havent got over 2 and its been 1.5 years in a 29 gallon.. Anyway get you a small pleco, Something like a chinnese pleco they are very small. Dont get fish that get so big they cant turn around in the aquarium. You can go over the rule of thumb a little, The 1 inch of fish per gallon. If you had a small pleco, 1 betta and a 2 cory's. That 5 gallon would run itself pretty much...
Also make sure to replace filter cartridges...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #22 
Harley

Everybody has different experiences and opinions on water changes. Once the tank is cycled, I do 25% water changes a week as per http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...60/#post445950 . As mentioned, plants are a help to the water. I currently have 1 Java Fern. Its my first attempt at a plant but it hasn't died yet. I also agree on the importance of water tests, better safe than sorry. As mentioned, the liquid tests are much more reliable than the strips are. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote