Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #1 
Duncan13

Getting 75 Gallon Aquarium, any Tips?

My teacher is moving back to the states after 12 years of teaching here in Shanghai. It turns out that he has a spare 75 gallon tank that hes not bringing back with him, and he's giving it to me in May. I know just about NOTHING on maintaining such a large aquarium, so please give me tips on what fish I could get, water changes, filters, etc. Thanks!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Awesome.......75gal is a great size and you can go so many different direction with it.....first thing I would do when you get it....do a 24h leak test....even when it doesn't have any leaks today....one wrong twist when you move it can crack a seal....I had that happen to me when I moved my 29gal from one house to another and what a mess.......and if it is not being used right now and sitting dry the seals can crack too......In a 75gal that is about 600 pounds just water so make sure your floor can handle that much weight

I would plant it but thats me...lol......stocking is what you like....I would research and find what species you like best and gather all the information on them for proper care, needs...etc......good filtration, lights, stand, heater at least 200w but that also depends on what species of fish you go with....and you want a python type hose for water changes-the type that hooks up to your sink to refill the tank...I have two...one that siphons by gravity out in my garden and one I hook up to the sink to refill.....it can be a lot of work changing 50% of the water in a 75g every week when you have to carry buckets of water....lol......

Look forward to pic once you get it all setup....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3 
ollief9

Water changes take a long time but are relatively straightforward. You need at least two large buckets, bulk bottles of water conditioner and patience. In my 50 gallon it takes over an hour doing a 50% water change.

For such a large aquarium, I think a canister filter is your best bet. A Fluval 405 would do nicely in a 75 gallon tank.
You also need a 300 watt heater.

Looking forward to seeing it!!!
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

With that size tank, I would go for a few large fancy Goldfish. You won't need a heater, but you will need a filter made for a larger tank thank 75 gallons. And by a few, I mean 3-4. They really need a lot of space due to waste and how large they get.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #5 
ollief9

I love goldfish. 6 fancy goldfish would do fine, provided you use canister filtration and keep up with the water changes.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

I don't have a tank anywhere near this size, but at some point in the distant future I would like 125 gallons...how hard is it to do the python thing for water changes? And how do you set it up so that the old water you are removing goes outside? I would feel horrible wasting all that water by just throwing it down the drain, but if there was an easy way to get it outside it would be perfect for watering plants/the lawn. Is there a website or link somewhere with the basics on how to use the python hose?

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I think it's still somehwat relevant. :P

75 gallons sounds great, you have so many stocking options. You could do a huge community tank, or get some species of cichlid if you're interested in them!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

No, fancy goldfish need at least about 15-20 gallons each. That's why I said 3-4.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
ollief9

I thought the rule was 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish, then 10 gallons for each additional goldfish.
That means 6 can go in a 75 gallon tank, with 5 gallons extra.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #9 
ollief9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
I don't have a tank anywhere near this size, but at some point in the distant future I would like 125 gallons...how hard is it to do the python thing for water changes? And how do you set it up so that the old water you are removing goes outside? I would feel horrible wasting all that water by just throwing it down the drain, but if there was an easy way to get it outside it would be perfect for watering plants/the lawn. Is there a website or link somewhere with the basics on how to use the python hose?

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I think it's still somehwat relevant. :P

75 gallons sounds great, you have so many stocking options. You could do a huge community tank, or get some species of cichlid if you're interested in them!
Just do the usual bucket water changes, but tip the aquarium water on the plants or wherever you want it.
It may seem a waste, but the water you tip away will eventually become rainfall, if you look at this it will explain everything...
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:6,s:0
Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
I thought the rule was 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish, then 10 gallons for each additional goldfish.
That means 6 can go in a 75 gallon tank, with 5 gallons extra.
Blargh, my brain isn't working today. You're right.