Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Car ride

Hi, I have another question. I'm a college student, and Summer break is coming up. I live a couple hours from home, and I'm nervous about taking my fish (two of them) on a car ride. Can anyone tell me how to transport them? I especially want to know if I should have them in their tanks, or in some other kind of containers.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

I would bag them separately to transport them. That's how fish often come home from a pet store. I'm not sure how you deal with temperature for that amount of time. Keeping the bags in the dark during the move may also help keep the stress down for them.

I'm sure some of our more experience fish experts here will have more ideas. Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 
RosyFish

I moved from Minnesota to Indiana and I put my Betta, Alfred (O. Dalmation V) in a small plastic container, with a few air holes in the lid, then wrapped it in a dishtowel to keep it dark and warm, but left the top uncovered so that air could get in. He had no problem the whole 15+ hour drive.
RosyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Considering you have two fish, this is what I suggest, from experience:

If your ride will be warm (warm enough for you to not have a coat on the ride/no ac/outside isnt too cold):
Put your boys in baggies. Yes, baggies, I know they came in cups, but those cups have lids, which have holes, which means....Water all over you if theres a bump! Haha.
Do not feed your fish the night before or morning of the car trip. Make sure their water has been cleaned recently before the trip, but not the same day. You want them in water theyre used to, but water that is clean. Bag them in said water. Leave at least a few inches of water so the top of the bag doesnt collapse in and eliminate their breathing surface. Dont breathe into the bag!

Take a showbox (any kind of box, really) and line it with a dark shirt (preferrably) or towel. Newspaper works fine and so does papertowels. You want this box to be soft and dark.

Are you driving? If you are, put the boys inside. Make sure they have enough surface area to breathe from in the baggie. Open it if you can once or twice during the drive, if you want.

place between the two baggies a paper towel, so they cant see eachother in the event there is enough light. Dont want added stress!

Place them somewhere warm and secure. You dont want them being flung from a fast stop!

If you arent driving, do the same thing, but check up on them more frequently. Also, since you have free hands, occasionally take one fish out (if its cold) and place their baggie in your lap. Its the warmest spot you've got,and it'll be a nice warm up for them if its chilly in the car.

I've had to do this like a million times, its no fun!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #5 
Irishdancer

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably be driving, but my Mom is going to be there too.
One more question, what size bag should I get? They both came in plastic containers, so I'll have to get bags special for the trip.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

If you can, ask your local walmart or petstore for those fish bags they give you when you buy a fish. Mine gave me one when I asked :D You can also used double bagged ziplocks, etc. Just make sure its sandwhich sized or bigger. The ones from stores (if theyll give you two) are best, though!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 
mollyyymo

I'm a college student too. I don't usually bag my fish for travel; I use Critter Keepers. They have holes in them so splashing can be an issue, but the fish usually seem a lot happier when they're not in a shallow little bag. I drive a bit more slowly and carefully when my fish are in the car with me, and I don't usually have problems with water escaping onto my LOVELY '98 Intrigue's seats.

Don't forget to buckle up your fishies!
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #8 
betta325

I have had to transport mine back in forth for three years now. I put mine large zip lock blags with the zip lock portion cut off and closed it up with a twist tie. I then put the two bags in a small box with a towel to try and keep them stable. I have pictures if you would like to see them.
betta325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

They dont mind the bags, trust me...The "larger space" actually gives them more room to be tossed around.
Im not discouraging this, however- I do not recommend. (And yes, from experience...)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #10 
DaveC

If you are driving through extreme temperatures, or the car gets really hot (sun in the windows) or really cold (blasting AC) a small styrofoam "ice chest" will help keep them at a stable temp. No! I am not suggesting putting ice in it.

If you don't want to buy one your local vetrinarian may have some. I used to work for a vet and we got our vaccines shipped to us in small styrofoam boxes inside cardboard boxes. About a foot or so cubed.

A picnic cooler or any insulated bag or box will do the same.

I don't know that you would need this for regular driving, so don't rush out and spend a lot of money on it. Just a helpful tip for those rides in the dead of winter or the heat of summer.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote