Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 
akjadestar

5 or 10 gallon? /:

So, Most of you all know how I was setting up a 10 gallon tank for Churro and all and the process is going sooo slowly.. Since I'm barely a teenager and have no income I don't think I can ever afford the plants and decorations to fill up the tank, also my light isn't working, my filter is too loud, and I just don't think I'd be able to keep up with maintaining a 10 gallon.
So, what I could do ... is try to clean up everything in the 10 gallon and sell it with the stand, it'd probably be worth about 60 dollars. That way I can buy a 5 gallon mini bow and also afford all the plants right away...
But, I'd feel like a quitter if I gave up on a 10 gallon, I remember how I wanted it SO bad before. And I do get like, 20 dollars a month actually when I babysit for my parents friends, it's just that I'm really bad at saving money, but this could be a way to learn? what do you guys think I should do?
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
So, Most of you all know how I was setting up a 10 gallon tank for Churro and all and the process is going sooo slowly.. Since I'm barely a teenager and have no income I don't think I can ever afford the plants and decorations to fill up the tank, also my light isn't working, my filter is too loud, and I just don't think I'd be able to keep up with maintaining a 10 gallon.
So, what I could do ... is try to clean up everything in the 10 gallon and sell it with the stand, it'd probably be worth about 60 dollars. That way I can buy a 5 gallon mini bow and also afford all the plants right away...
But, I'd feel like a quitter if I gave up on a 10 gallon, I remember how I wanted it SO bad before. And I do get like, 20 dollars a month actually when I babysit for my parents friends, it's just that I'm really bad at saving money, but this could be a way to learn? what do you guys think I should do?

I would personally keep the 10 gallon and find cheaper decorations. Clay terracotta pots used as caves are pretty cheap as well as coffee mugs tipped on their sides. You can often find nice coffee mugs at thrift stores.They just need to be cleaned up and soaked in clean hot water sometimes. I don't know if you live near a petco or not but for live plants they have the stemmed plants for 2.99 each (normally the stemmed plants have 5 little stemmed plants) If you have a petco card they're buy 3 get one free at most locations.With 20 dollars you should have a decent amount of money to decorate your tank. If you decide to go with silk plants you might find good deals on used aquarium items that just need to be cleaned up a bit on Craigslist or Ebay.
It is all up to which you would prefer though..5 gallons are nice too! I have one and it is cute and small and doesn't take up much room.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 
akjadestar

I think I'm going to stick with my two gallon too, and make a cave out of PVC pipe, buy a piece of driftwood that is 50 dollars but absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and it's big and would fill up my tank and has anubias growing on it. Then I just buy a few extra plants and I'm good. Thanks♥
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #4 
Torat

50 dollars? Are you kidding me? What in the world? That's obnoxious! I have TONS of driftwood and all of it TOTAL (and every one of my tanks has it!) would be less than 50.00! Whew!

I've recently fallen in love with java moss, which would look AWESOME on your driftwood, too. Same with java fern ;)
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #5 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Advice: I don't know how much you know about driftwood in tanks (or water), so here goes: Driftwood can and does expand when exposed to water. I hope your piece of driftwood doesn't fit perfectly in your tank when it is not completely soaked and has not absorbed a lot of water. If you are not allowing enough room for expansion, you can crack your tank. I only used driftwood in 40 gallon tanks and above for that reason. If you want to use driftwood just allow for any expansion to take place. Just a little information for you.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybetta View Post
Advice: I don't know how much you know about driftwood in tanks (or water), so here goes: Driftwood can and does expand when exposed to water. I hope your piece of driftwood doesn't fit perfectly in your tank when it is not completely soaked and has not absorbed a lot of water. If you are not allowing enough room for expansion, you can crack your tank. I only used driftwood in 40 gallon tanks and above for that reason. If you want to use driftwood just allow for any expansion to take place. Just a little information for you.
This is interesting. I didn't know this.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #7 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
Since I'm barely a teenager and have no income.....
When I was a preteen $$$ was never a problem. You should be kissing your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents behinds and have em send you some money.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 
ollief9

...or you could get a paper round like me.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #9 
akjadestar

My parents won't let me get a paper route, I've asked tons of times but they don't trust me that I'll be motivated enough to do it...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

...When all else fails....

jk