Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 
tracyalexa

do your bettas ever rest on tge gravel?

Torr, my usual show off, is hanging out on the bottom. He will go to the divider looking for Necro, probably hoping to flare lol, but when he doesn't find him he will swim to the bottom and lay down a bit. He isn't lethargic but I haven't seen this behavior until today. Is it normal behavior?
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 
briser

My guys hang out at the bottom from time to time. He could just be relaxing. Just keep an eye on him!
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

Yea, I just found pic's of my old Betta resting on the gravel...but just watch him...there is such a thing as Betta depression. Especially if u had two Betta`s in a tank with a divider.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 
tracyalexa

Especially if I have two with a divider? Why is that?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

My old guy does this from time to time...Sometimes he scoots on his belly on the sand trying to get the cory food...it's really funny to watch him do that.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
Especially if I have two with a divider? Why is that?
IMO betta's use up quite a bit of energy to flare and all that. Their muscles work spontaneously at once. If a betta can constantly flare, he will 1) eventually be come tired. Or 2) he might realize that it's useless and loose interest until he feels threatened. And last possibility; 3) if he has poor mentality, he will become scared (stressed) and will not flare again - specially to the same color as his rival.

Your betta sounds as if he would still flare but he doesn't have the energy - he rests on the bottom. If he were experiencing the 2nd or 3rd possibility, he would simply swim away.

If my assumptions are right, you should be worried. Again, IMO, a non active betta has low immune abilities (I don't know why). So be sure to keep an eye on him.... hope I'm wrong.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #7 
tracyalexa

I kept an eye on him all night and this morning. He was swimming around as usual. The divider isn't see through, it's like he can maybe see a shadow or something and flares at it, like a game. idk. But today he seemed good, swimming around, begging for food. I watched him for about an hour after posted last night and then an hour this morning. Will def. keep an eye on him though.

A side note, I have another one in a different tank that flares at everything. But there is nothing there for him to flare at.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If it's not due to flaring .... I'm not sure. How old is he? Some of my older ones (over 1 yr) are less active and would often rest. But they rest on the surface or on some plants, not the bottom.

I think your guy is OK. He still swims around (active).... but keep an eye on him just in case.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Yes, early on one of my females (the one in my avatar) who thought she was a catfish frequently rested on the gravel. While she has finally figured out food source is on top, for the first 2.5 weeks all she did was hang and rest at the bottom looking for food like a catfish.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #10 
trono

My betta sleeps/rests at the bottom all the time. Nothing to worry about if their behavior is normal.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote