Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 
tokala

My epically tragic/eventful day. RIP Siku :( Meet Cerro.

This all happened yesterday but I didn’t have the energy to write about it when I got home…
Since Diablo arrived here from Thialand a few weeks ago, he has been my problem child. He had buoyancy problems when he arrived and was slow to acclimate. He also had a slightly funny gill but nothing looked injured. I just figured it was how he was born. About a week later he was acting normal, but his tank had been taken over with white slime from his drift wood. So I did a TOTAL tank scrub down and removed the wood. He was stressed about that for a couple days it seems, then started acting like the happiest fish ever. A couple days ago, I was doing basic researched and discovered that swollen gills can be a big problem and I started to get paranoid. I read on a couple sites that I should use ampicillin to treat it. Yesterday morning he looked like he was starting to scratch himself against his plants and was darting around the tank like a crazy man. His breathing seemed rapid too. I thought to myself “Oh jeeze here we go again, another issue?” The closest pet store to me is in a town called Montrose about 2 hours from my town over a mountain pass. I decide I would QT him with a salt bath and order meds online thinking the salt bath would hold him over until they arrived. After I put him in QT I left the house for my extended studies class for 6 hours. When I came home around 2, I got the shock of my life :(…

All this time I have been fussing with Diablo, my precious DT Siku has been the happiest, easiest fish ever. He was always healthy, spunky, a good eater, etc. I had just moved him to a new book shelf in the living room. Well, my bf and I hunt every year (sorry if that offends anyone, we just prefer to get our meat from a more natural and in our opinion humane source than cruel feedlots with animals full of chemicals. I assure you every part is used, and we never buy beef from the groceries). Anyways, we got a very large bull elk last year and decided to hang his antlers and bleached skull on the wall….directly above the book shelf. It has been there for about 6 months now. When I walked in the door, I found the skull had fallen (the wall mount the taxidermist put on it actually broke!) And had absolutely crushed Siku’s tank :’( It took me 15 minutes to find him. He had flopped about 15 feet into the kitchen. The water had ruined some of the books too. I was devastated.

In my fluster and sadness, I decided I could not risk losing Diablo too and got in the truck to drive to Montrose to get some better medicine (all I had was bettafix and aquarium salt. I didn’t realize until I joined this forum not to use bettafix- so needless to say my first aid kit was lacking) Well go figure of all the days I decide to drive over the pass we get hit with an epic Colorado Spring Blizzard. Tooke me 4 hours to get there. The store had one more hour before they closed and I stocked up on EVERYTHING. Plants, subtrate, nice water testing kit, food, QT tanks, etc. Except they didn’t have the medicine I wanted- but I still bought everything they had for meds. They also had a halfmoon male betta that was all gold. He looked like a giant sunshine. I decided I needed a sunshine that day….so I grabbed him up. Not sure what the usual grieving protocol is, but I didn’t feel like I was replacing Siku. On the drive home, I was almost to the top of the pass in a white out blizzard when traffic came to a stop. There was an accident. I waited for 2ish hours until we got moving again. I didn’t think I had enough gas to idle that whole time with the heat on (it was about 15 degrees outside) so I kept my new fish under my shirt against my belly to keep him warm. It was slow moving even after the accident was cleared. All and all, the trip home took me 5 hours- should have been a 2 hour trip. I was exhausted but setting up the new tanks seemed relaxing when I got home. I got both the new guy and Diablo Minibows 2.5. I thought it would be easier to treat Diablo in a smaller tank than his 7.5 Gal. I must say I love these minibows!

Both seem to be doing well right now. I wanted to name the new guy Solar or Apollo (you know…sunshine names) But decided on Cerro, the name of the mountain pass we were stuck on in the blizzard for so long. I think we bonded a little on that trip :) He has a cloudy eye on the left side. Any suggestions for treatment? I am still just sick about my baby Siku, he will be so missed. RIP little buddy and thank you for introducing me to this new world.
Attached Images

tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I'm so sorry about Siku. Your new boy is beautiful, though.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I'm so sorry about Siku..Congrats on Cerro though. He's gorgeous. I hope Diablo is doing better too.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #4 
tracyalexa

Wow, what a horrible day. Sorry. But on the "sunny" side, that yellow fish is amazingly beautiful. Hope diablo improves!
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
blacksheep72

Sorry to hear about your fish. That's very unfortunate.

On a different note, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I'm assuming you're talking about the Montrose I live near here in CO. I'm in Ridgway...
blacksheep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 
blacksheep72

BTW, I think I saw your new fish when I was at Petco a few days ago.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep72 View Post
Sorry to hear about your fish. That's very unfortunate.

On a different note, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I'm assuming you're talking about the Montrose I live near here in CO. I'm in Ridgway...
No way! Go figure! I live in Sargents- it's about 40 miles outside of Gunnison at the base of Monarch Pass. I come into town for school (Western State). I go to Ridgway/Ouray about once a week in the winter to ice climb! And yes, he was at Petco. What a small world...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #8 
blacksheep72

No kidding! We were just through there a couple months ago on our move back to Ridgway. Decided to try the Monarch Pass route instead of I-70 and loved it!

My wife meets alot of ice climbers that stay at the Riverside Inn where she works in Ouray.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #9 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep72 View Post
No kidding! We were just through there a couple months ago on our move back to Ridgway. Decided to try the Monarch Pass route instead of I-70 and loved it!

My wife meets alot of ice climbers that stay at the Riverside Inn where she works in Ouray.
Too funny! Well when you came down off of Monarch and passed a little gas station, I live about a mile behind it haha. We have stayed there before, I will have to ask around next time I go that way! The ice is getting pretty rotten now so it may be a while. Hope you guys didn't get too slammed with the storm yesterday :)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #10 
blacksheep72

Typical Colorado spring snow, I guess. We had 4"-6" on the ground this morning. All gone by early afternoon. :)