Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Conditioning?

I know that when you condition Bettas, you keep them in tanks with daily 100% water changes, use only frozen or live foods, give them lots of cover and basically spoil them for 2 weeks before they go into the tank.

But I also need to know a few things. Like, should they see eachother during the conditioning period, and if they are supposed to see eachother, for how long? Also, how large/small should the conditioning tank be (I know, condition alone so obviously never use a community/divided tank) It obviously can't be too large since you need to do 100% water changes, and never too small or they wont be in top health.

Thanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't let them see each other during conditioning. If my male is in the breeding tub for quite a while, I would exercise him with a different female. Sometimes I would "test" the female by floating her for a few minutes - to see if she would spawn and at the same time exercise the male. But usually I just put them together and see how they swim.

The size of tank is personal preference - as long as you keep up with the care needed. My males are in 1g but sometimes in the spawning tub while my female in sororities. Only reluctant females go into solitary tanks.

I seldom condition (to health) - they're always ready to breed. But I make sure the male is always active before I breed him.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #3 
pdxBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I seldom condition (to health) - they're always ready to breed. But I make sure the male is always active before I breed him.
I agree. My fish are basically always "conditioned". I alternate frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. Mosquito larvae and daphnia when I can get them. Freeze dried bloodworms when I need to. I've never bought Betta pellets.

They are normally carded, so they don't see each other. I remove the cards occasionally so they get excited.

Male goes in the breeding tank first, followed by the female in a lamp chimney. Once they look ready, I lift out the chimney and keep an eye on things.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #4 
monroe0704

There are many different conditioning methods. For hypothetical reference... ;) ... Eros and Artemis were conditioned separately, but still in plain view of other betta fish. Sometimes complete isolation is suggested. It's all a matter of finding what works for the pair. Another pair I owned worked best when conditioned next to other male bettas but still within sight of each other. I'm sure this sparked the competition for breeding rights!

Edit: Eros and Artemis were also introduced with the female in the chimney for a few days. Currently I have better luck introducing both at the same time in the tank...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #5 
baylee767

Thanks everyone!

This is pretty much it knowladge wise. I mean, you can always learn more, but I've got the basics and a little more down. I'll probably learn more when I manage my first successful spawn, obviously, but I've learned all that I need to that I can learn without actually spawning the fish.

Now I'm gathering pair + supplies, and I can't wait to finally try this out and raise fry that'll help the species rather than bring them down. And it'll be fun I think to show the "ultimate" of Betta keeping and doing water changes on a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles sounds like on days where I'm tired it'll be a nightmare yet other days it'll be fun. And I'm hoping if I manage to spawn a pair successfully, raise the fry successfully, and turn out with quality Bettas, I can eventually show. I just can't wait (=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like you're about ready to breed! Good luck with everything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote