Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
briser

Ugh, Another filter cartridge question...

So in my last thread about cartridges I was told not to change the media because it will uncycle my tank. But, the cartridge I have is sealed shut and I can't get in it to replace the carbon (It's time to replace it.) So. I bought a kit, to make cartridges yourself.. It comes with resealable cartridges and lots of activated carbon. So first of all I have two sponges in my filter right now.. so they have gathered TONS of good bacteria. So tell me if this is a good plan to switch my old cartridge to my new one without uncycling: I'll keep the old one in the back of the filter (it's a huge filter) and then put my new one in the front. And next water change I'll take the old one out complete and hopefully with the help of the two sponges the bacteria will grow on the new one.

Good idea or no?
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

Sounds good to me! Honestly though, it's up to you whether you want the carbon or not. It doesn't do anything different than regular water changes and is not a substitute (not saying I think that's what you think, lol). The carbon won't do anything bad to your tank if you leave it in and it's time to change it. So it's entirely up to you. But your plan sounds good. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

I Agree, it just helps purify the water.. And is a pain with medicine lol! Its up to you, really..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote