Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
CrowntailxKing

Halfmoon not doing so well! Did everything I could...anything else?

So today I went to PetCo to return my halfmoon that died this morning (got him last night) and exchanged him for another halfmoon. I put him in the same Microbow1 as the other one. The reason I thought the other one died was because the filter was too strong, but I turned the filter off and the new HM is acting up now too! Im beginning to wonder if there is something with the Microbow1 or something...but anyways! The new one (currently unnamed) was laying on the bottom of the tank, so I moved him into a cup and is now floating in the 10 gallon tank because there isnt a heater in the microbow1. I also figured maybe the girls could perk him up a bit...anything else I could do? He isn't looking too well :(
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Did you remember the water condtioner? Did you acclimate him to the new tank water?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

I put the water conditioner in, yes. As for conditioning, I dumped out most of his water and put his cup in the tank, that way he still had his water and some of the tank water seeped in. He just swam out when he was ready. He was doing pretty fine earlier today. It wasnt until an hour ago or so he was acting up.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 
CrowntailxKing

Well HE'S dead too now...wondering if I should return the Microbow1 or something.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 
Torat

Mkay.

Empty out the Minibow. Toss the gravel. I have had this situation in the past due to cheap gravel and/or colored (usually blue) gravel. I'd say boil it, but if it's colored the color will come off.

Throw out your current filter cartridge. The one that was running when the fish died. I don't know if the filters in the Minibows come out, if yes, pop it out and use a soft-bristled baby-bottle brush and scrub it out with hot water. Rinse like mad, put it back together. If you had a biological filter media of some sort (sponge, small pieces of rock or cylinders, whatever) - toss it. I'd be worried about whatever killed my fish being on it.

Get a squirt bottle. Add a teeny bit of bleach. Fill up to 3/4 with hot water. Most people advise against bleach, I haven't had a problem. Squirt the crap out of your Minibow. I mean, use that whole squirt bottle. Wipe 'er down. Take the Minibow to the shower (which you may want to do already with the squirt bottle), and turn on your water as hot as possible - no cold. Rinse the hell out of it. Let it air-dry.

It must be completely dry. While you're waiting for it to dry, take a sample of your tap water to the pet store. Have them test it - hardness/softness, ammonia, etc. This will give you an idea of what you're "battling" to begin with. Get appropriate chemicals or plants (I use plants to combat a lot of the problems with my water). Get a quality water conditioner. I use Seachem Prime (I only use Seachem products as chemicals in my tanks).

Once it's dry, use clean, WELL RINSED, hopefully natural-stone gravel, put a layer in. In a container, mix the water conditioner, any other chemicals, and water from your tap. Shake 'er up. Pour this into your tank. Continue filling your tank. Let it sit a day or so. You can't really cycle a 1 gallon, so I'm not going to advise you to do that.

After a day or so, bring a sample of your tank water to the pet store. Have them test it. If the parameters are okay (or as okay as they could be in an uncycled, fishless tank), then you should be set on that end. Also, look at your water. Is it cloudy? Is there any color to it? Does it smell normal? If any of these are abnormal (should be generally clear, no color, and have no scent), then dump it all and return the tank to the store. Get a new one. If they're normal, I'd say you should be set.

Get a fish, throw it in there and hope for the best. I'd recommend you add the fish while you're home. Keep an eye on it. It's a 1 gallon tank, so it shouldn't be too heavy. If you don't want to constantly watch the tank wherever it's situated, move the tank where you are so it's not so out of the way. If you notice your fish is lethargic, chillin' on the bottom. If its fins are clamped, it has labored breathing, or isn't going to the top for air at all... remove the fish right away and return the tank for a different one. But you should be OK.

I had this once with a one gallon tank from Petco. I had blue-ish gravel in the tank. Any fish put in that tank died. I would clean it out, like... take out the gravel and just swish the tank with water. The fish still died. Used the bleach, ditched the gravel, and my fish was A-OK :}

Good luck!
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

Well what's weird is that it is the same gravel I used before with my other Betta, Lief, who is still alive. It's black gravel and I just washed the heck out of it, washed out my filter, and there is a plant in there already. I know my water is fine because I have a test kit that I used on my other tanks recently. I cannot find the test strips for the pH/nitrite/nitrate/etc. but it was new water. The only thing I'd have to worry about with new water is hardness and pH, which I use the same water with my other Betta fish (One lone male and my 10 gallon sorority). Since this is the second fish I got from PetCo. I am wondering if they will even let me return this one for a refund or another fish... Ugh just stressed out from this >:(
Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Maybe there's something leeching into the water from the tank? Is it plastic or glass? A Problem with the source water is a possibility....there could be chemicals or other contaminants in it that won't show up in an aquarium water test kit. Is your ten gallon stocked? If so, have you had problems with it? If not, then you might be able to rule out source water contamination. If you do decide to clean and use the microbowl again, moniter your next fish very well and at the first sign of sickness get him out of there and pitch the tank!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #8 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Maybe there's something leeching into the water from the tank? Is it plastic or glass? A Problem with the source water is a possibility....there could be chemicals or other contaminants in it that won't show up in an aquarium water test kit. Is your ten gallon stocked? If so, have you had problems with it? If not, then you might be able to rule out source water contamination. If you do decide to clean and use the microbowl again, moniter your next fish very well and at the first sign of sickness get him out of there and pitch the tank!
I haven't had any troubles with Lief when he was in a bowl, hadn't had any troubles when I moved him in the 2.5 gallons, and I havent had any trouble with the 10 gallon sorority. The microbow1 is a plastic tank, so I was wondering about that.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #9 
CrowntailxKing

...but then again, his bowl was plastic too which I didnt have problems with.