Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #1 
newbie32

Betta turning Yellow/Gold around the Gills

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes, not currently using it because medication directions said not to
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin Flakes and some bloodworms. Though, he hasn't been eating at all. He did eat the flakes before he boycotted food altogether. I bought the bloodworms to see if he would start eating those. He never did. I really think he just isn't eating because he's sick, not because he doesn't like the food.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week, though I've been doing it a little more because I think he's sick
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/4-1/3
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner and a buffer for right now

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8
Hardness: Very Hard
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well, King Fishy and I have had a few rounds. First he was just fine in his water. Then he started acting lethargic. Then he was barely moving. Then he stopped eating. Then there were specks showing up on him. The specks are now gone since I started treating him with meds. Now he is turning a yellow/gold/green around his gills and on the small fins on the bottom of his body by his gills (obviously do not know proper fin terms). BUT, he is moving more today. I walked up to the tank this morning and he flared up at me. He hasn't done that in days. Then he swam pretty rapidly to the top to blow a bubble and get some air. He kind of drifted back to the bottom and knocked into his castle. Almost like he couldn't or didn't care to control his way down to the gravel. When he got to the gravel he swam a little bit to get himself situated where he wanted to be. He's now just laying there. Looks better than he did though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, took the carbon out of the filter and have been giving him two tabs of Jungle Lifeguard every 24 hours. Those were the directions on the package. I still have a couple more days to go. I have also been using a buffer to slowly bring down the pH and have been slowly phasing in water that isn't as hard as the water I was using. I think the water started this stress in the first place and now he is falling prey to illness I can't diagnose.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Problems since I've got him. I've been bothering this forum just about everyday regarding King.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Almost 3 weeks since I've had him. Who knows how long he was at Petco.

Does anyone know why he would be turning yellowish gold? Should I keep him on the Jungle Lifeguard since it appears to be working?
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #2 
Abby

Lol what kind of fish is he? Tail type and colour
sounds to me like he's marblig - just changing colour :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #3 
Abby

Edit: marbling silly iPod lol

ok as for colour change it's common and I think that's all that's going on here's my example of a marbling female hm
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #4 
Abby

Because my iPod has a mind of it's own here's the URL not link

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67151
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #5 
newbie32

He's a veil tail, I think. He was the cheapest betta type they had at Petco. His little tub didn't even have a label on it. His body is either black or a really really dark blue. His tail and fins are a medium blue that fades out into an almost teal/aqua blue color by the end. It's very pretty. But now his gills and the small fins under his body by the gills are turning that green/yellow/gold color.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #6 
Abby

Post pics - just cause i wanna see him ;)- especially the colour change sections I don't know bout him marbling on that sense as my hm lady cause she's light coloured he isn't lol
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #7 
newbie32

All I have is a camera on my phone. I've had bad luck taking pictures of him. I tried to get pictures of the specks, but it didn't work out. I'll try again and hopefully I can get a good enough picture for people to see.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #8 
newbie32

Ok, I have attached pictures. Hopefully this will work? The first one is King before he was sick. The next two were taken today. Note the green starting on the bottom fins and how is underbelly is turning kind of a reddish white color.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #9 
newbie32

It's really hard to see in the pictures, but his belly is turning almost white. It's kind of like he is fading. But his tail is still really bright. I've read in other posts that color changes can be a sign on illness or stress. I'm trying hard to not stress lil dude out, but I want to make sure he's being medicated properly.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 
wanabegoodmom

Does the yellow/gold look like a fine gold or rust mist? It sounds like it could have velvet to me. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...

My fish got that and I treated it with Quick Cure. The brand isn't so important but it's for "fast relief of ick and protozoan parasites. It's a very small bottle and it's green. The active ingredients are formalin and malachite green. Anyway, that cleared up my Sammy's velvet quickly when he had it.
wanabegoodmom is offline   Reply With Quote