Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #21 
newbie32

That settles it, I'm finishing his recommended dose of medication for the specks he used to have. Then I'm doing a water change (as recommended) and adding a tankmate. Maybe he needs a friend to play with.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #22 
wanabegoodmom

Be careful with your choice of tankmate. I suggest you ask someone at the pet store who is knowledgeable about bettas or ask on here first. There aren't many species that are a good fit for bettas, you don't want it too aggressive since bettas aren't fast swimmers, and you don't want something the betta will eat. Then you have to get something that likes the same temperature and have a heater to make sure it stays in that range. It's all too complicated/too much work for me so I never got my Sammy a play mate. Good luck in finding him a perfect friend.
wanabegoodmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #23 
PewPewPew

If you suspect your betta is ill and cannot diagnose the issue, then you should not be adding a tankmate.
Bettas are solitary animals who prefer to live alone. He does not need a "friend".

Many types of suitable tankmates for that 10 gallon do not fare well with some of the medications you are using. Platys and cats cant deal with salt, snails cant deal with copper, etc. Wait until your fish has gotten better for at least a few weeks. There is no sense in possibly hurting the other fish or stressing your current fish out more by adding tank mates at this time.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #24 
Abby

Easy on P3
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #25 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Easy on P3
What?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #26 
Abby

your a little sharp edged today. thats all
your info is right but a little tenderness never hurt noone
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #27 
PewPewPew

Uh. No, it was a fine post, and it was executed just as well.

Sharp or not, its right like you said.

OP, I do hope you take that advice and wait- to avoid injuring or exposing other fish to what your betta may have.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #28 
iheartmybettas

I would agree you should wait until he starts acting totally normal again. You don't want to risk harming the other fish.

Sorry he is having so many crazy things happen! They can keep us guessing at times. He seems like an extra challenging one but like I have said before he probably came to you with something wrong. You are doing a good job trying your best to help him.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote