Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #1 
baylee767

Thumbs down Is she an art teacher?

The art teacher at my school went to colledge and grad school and studied teaching art... but I don't know, she doesn't seem like she truely cares about, or even realizes, the point of art.

Apparently while I was gone she assigned a project where we had to trace a picture of shakespeare and then write quotes from him on his outline in black sharpie. This "project" is something that seemed more for looks and doesn't really help improve ones artistic ability at all. In fact, it's teaching students in my class to just hate art. I asked if I could at least use a colored sharpie and she told me no... then when I finished she searched for 20 minutes for a pair of scissors because it wasn't "cut right".

Then we worked on drawing prospective (most of my class learned it on our own years ago) She said to draw some hills with a road going on them. this was to look almost exactly like the painting she found online. Someone asked if they could do the sea, and she was told that no, "we are drawing HILLS." Then when someone added a sun onto their picture the art teacher told her "NO. No sun, redo it." She isn't promoting creativity at all... (While she was searching on the computer forr a portrait, she yelled at me for drawing a Betta... No one stops Baylee from drawing Bettas ) Everyone dreads art and I can't blame them...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #2 
vaygirl

My husband has a BA in Fine Arts and taught graphic design for 5 years. He would be the first person to tell you that in many cases, art teachers stunt creativity and ruin individual style. Not all teachers, mind you, but you seem to have one like that. I think the problem is that art is subjective. Ask 5 teachers for their take on a certain project and you'll get 5 different answers. And they'll try to influence you from their own perspective. It's just the way it is. I've heard horror stories from him. Lol! Just do your assignments and work on your own.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I'm homeschooled so I've always been encouraged to try everything when it came to art but I studied other things. Sounds like your art teacher needs to learn to be more flexible. (Also wasting class time because it wasn't to 'her' liking is probably a rule-breaker for teachers.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 
Ethan

So am I Arashi yes art is not my fav. subject but art dosn't just consist of painting it also consist of making things which I like.

Yes, art teachers always have there own way of doing things art is kinda like what's in your heart like if your bad you draw bad things if your good you draw good things. I think she just wanted the whole class to adapt to her perspective on art which isn't right but what sounded right to her.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

Reason why I never took art classes in high school; I didn't want to be told what to draw. Your teacher does sound a bit extreme, though. She should give you guidelines and let you do it using your own creativity rather than just copying what has already been done. As vaygirl said, just do your work because she probably won't change.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote