Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
Alex09

28 Gallon Riparium

So for those of you who dont know the story; My neighbor offered me an aquarium she did not want. She told me it was 20 gallons or so and that I could have it for free. Did I take it? Of course! I would be crazy not to. I sized up the tank and according to the dimensions - the tank was 28 gallons! I soon went out and bought a stand for it. I decided to use this tank as an upgrade from my 10 gallon community (home to a female betta, and a few platies and cories).

With this tank I decided to do something different. Something I have been wanting to do for a long time. A riparium. Don't know what that is? then CLICK HERE. I got it setup last week. I transfered everything over, and filled it with a foot of water (roughly 16 gallons) I ordered some suction cup basket things from amazon to use as planters as I dont like the look of the things im currently using to hold up the plants and these are waaay cheaper than the "official" riparium planters. The plants will have more room to grow out in the planters and will look more natural and pleasing. I will also be getting more plants for the terrestrial plants section. I'm currently hunting down diffenbachia (dumb cane), pilea (aluminum plant), and sweetflag grass among others. While still a work in progress, this is a project that I hope to enjoy and make a masterpiece of.

On to the pics! As you can see, it is looking a bit sparse. My goal is to cover the entire back wall with plants.

If you have any questions please ask.

Last edited by Alex09; 04-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 
DoNotDeclaw

I can't even describe how beautiful I think that is. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see pictures of it grown in.
DoNotDeclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

That looks gorgeous so far!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 
Pekemom

Alex, I am totally fascinated with this!! I am very excited for you and can't wait to see your progress. The tank already looks fabulous.

I went on the website (your link). Am I understanding correctly that the little disks shown are the planters? You plant in the little disks and adhere the disks to the tank using suction cups? Doesn't the gravel/plant fall out? Please explain!! Lots of good luck!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Wow, thats cool. I cant wait for *ahem* more pics! *ahem!*

What dimensions are that tank? Its seems really boxy, its so different!

Im jealous, I want one of these now, haha.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I love it.. it is beautiful! Do you know if there is a list online somewhere of the plants that can be used for ripariums? I am planning on adding a few plants a above the water line with roots submerged in one of my tanks but I am not sure which plants I can use.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

Awesome - 100% awesome!!!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

That's awesome, I love ripariums and paludariums! But I can't even keep the simplest of plants alive, so I'll just admire them from afar.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #9 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Alex, I am totally fascinated with this!! I am very excited for you and can't wait to see your progress. The tank already looks fabulous.

I went on the website (your link). Am I understanding correctly that the little disks shown are the planters? You plant in the little disks and adhere the disks to the tank using suction cups? Doesn't the gravel/plant fall out? Please explain!! Lots of good luck!!
The planters would look like this when filled. If you look carfully you can see the suction cups which attach to the back wall of the tank. The suction cup organizers I bough from amazon will have little holes though for water circulation.

Last edited by Alex09; 04-07-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #10 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I love it.. it is beautiful! Do you know if there is a list online somewhere of the plants that can be used for ripariums? I am planning on adding a few plants a above the water line with roots submerged in one of my tanks but I am not sure which plants I can use.
Dont know of an exact list but Peace lily, Pothos, spider plant, arrowhead plant, and diffenbachia (sp?) are a few that come to mind. Actually, if you go to petco/ petsmart, many of the plants that they sell as aquatic but are actually terrestrial would do fine in these conditions.

Last edited by Alex09; 04-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Tags
riparium