Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #11 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
That's awesome, I love ripariums and paludariums! But I can't even keep the simplest of plants alive, so I'll just admire them from afar.
You would have to have the touch of death to be able to kill pothos. It is also known ad Devil's ivy. hahaha. I swear you can throw that plant into your closet for a month and ignore it and the plant will still pull through the ordeal like nothing happened.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #12 
Pekemom

Quote:
You would have to have the touch of death to be able to kill pothos
Sounds like my kind of plant!! Thanks for the pictures - I see now how it works. What I love about it, is that you don't have to use special fertilizer or add anything extra with these particular plants - right?

Also - you are changing out only a percentage of the tank water at a time? Do you remove the plants for water changes?

Last edited by Pekemom; 04-07-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #13 
LolaQuigs

Do you need any special equipment/lighting for a riparium?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #14 
Alex09

Pekemom: Nope, no ferts required. Fish waste should be enough to provide nutrients for the plant. I do 30-50% WC once a week. I dont remove any plants from the tank.

LolaQuigs: Well you will need to have an internal or a submersable filter as HOB filters wont work for this. As for lighting, it depends. If you will have plants under the water then yes. If you will just have the terrestrial plants then no. Many of these plants are usually tropical plants that live in the shadow of other larger plants in the wild. They need only minimum lighting. In fact, just regular ambient light will often be enough so you wont need to use up any extra electricity if you don't want to. Best thing, is that these plants provide all the water purification benefits of aquatic plants without the need for special ferts, lighting, co2, etc. These plants have "the arial" advantage as they can pull co2 from the air (much more abundant) and as such, can even do an even better job than aquatics. Its all described in Diana Walstad's book: Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

Last edited by Alex09; 04-07-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Dont know of an exact list but Peace lily, Pothos, spider plant, arrowhead plant, and diffenbachia (sp?) are a few that come to mind. Actually, if you go to petco/ petsmart, many of the plants that they sell as aquatic but are actually terrestrial would do fine in these conditions.
Thankyou! I actually have some spider plants around here somewhere...
Right now I just have a few clippings hanging out from my 10 gallon. some of my plants in my tank to root...variegated wandering jew, mexican petunias,and some acorus I bought at petco and found out later it would probably die fully submerged..I am actually using the acorus rubber banded by the root base in front of my filter outtake...made a nice "green" filter baffle.
Not sure how long the variegated wandering jew and mexican petunias will work out..An experiment of sorts I guess..
I am thinking I may use my 29 gallon to do something similar. I haven't used it yet because I bought it used and I was unable to tell if it was reptile or fish tank and couldn't get ahold of the people I bought it from to ask...hm.....I believe it may work if I fill it only 1/3-2/3 though! This whole thread gave me tons of ideas! And here I was just going to use that big tank as a mini green house for my garden! No way! I am building a riparium!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
You would have to have the touch of death to be able to kill pothos. It is also known ad Devil's ivy. hahaha. I swear you can throw that plant into your closet for a month and ignore it and the plant will still pull through the ordeal like nothing happened.
Quoted for truth!!! I have cuttings from a large Pothos I have had for a LONG time that have literally been growing in water for YEARS!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #17 
Alex09

Interesting article I found for anyone who is interested...
http://www.tuncalik.com/2010/01/indo...-in-aquariums/
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #18 
Kestrel

Aha, so there's a name for this kind of thing! I've always thought the ripariums looked amazing, but now I've learned so much about them. They sound a lot easier than fully aquatic plants too, which is good. My only problem would be, I don't like to bother with live plants and plastic plants would probably look out of place with other real ones.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #19 
Pekemom

Great article and extremely interesting website, Alex. Thanks for the link.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #20 
Omboc

Looks great to me! Sounds like something to try one day.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
riparium