Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 
Cassandra90

Tail biting or tears from plants

I have a male halfmoon betta, he has been doing really great in a 10 gallon with 3 albino cories and 5 ghost shrimp, well recently I have notice small spots missing from his tail. I know it is not fin rot. I am just not sure if it is tail biting or if it is from the plants I have in the ten gallon.

I have alot of plants along the back and sides of the tank with the front open and some smaller plants in the middle with a bridge and latern decor. I have only one silk plant the rest are soft plastic plants.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get silk plants? I need a variety in size.

I am hoping this does the trick. I really would hate it if he was tail biting. But I have never seen him do that and the tears are well some look oval and others look like a tear.

Sorry no pictures. I am at work and it is so hard to get a picture due to my camera quality.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #2 
Torat

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net...ther-CP67.html

If you search through here, there are a TON of silk plants at various sizes at 50-75% off what you would pay in the store.

I've purchased all of mine from this site, arrives in time, and are perfect :}
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
Cassandra90

I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 
Harley

I've heard that some silk plants can have wires in them so you may want to watch for that (I don't have any so I can't confirm it). Is there a chance that the bridge and lantern may have rough edges? You may want to try doing the stocking test on them to make sure they're o.k.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
Cassandra90

They should be fine. Alot of members on here have the same decor as me. I'll look out for wires. Thank you for the heads up.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #6 
trono

Be wary of the ghost shrimp. I used to have some and caught one of them chewing on my betta's tail.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
Cassandra90

I actually never see my ghost shrimp.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 
iheartmybettas

For some reason all the HMs I have ever owned have done some tail biting at some point. I don't know if their tail is too much for them or what. I have 1 right now that is really bad. I put some knew decor in his tank and hope that will help in case it is boredom. Good luck! I hope he stops if that is it!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #9 
Cassandra90

Well I ordered some silk plants from that website and also I went to petco and got about 5 silk plants. Hopefully this will help. I will be doing a water change after work and I'll add the plants in.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Keep an eye on your cory cats. One of mine accidentally nipped my guy Cleo's back fin...He was scooting on his belly trying to find the cory pellet and the cories where scurrying around and one of them went over his fin and when he went to swim up I noticed a rip.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote