Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #1 
BrookeGrace

My betta seems sad and I'm unsure of what to do. Help?

Hello everyone! New here and am glad to have found this place! I apologize in advance if this turns out lengthy. (And I hope this is okay in this folder. If not, lemme know and I will put it somewhere else.)

I just recently purchased a cool little Betta who I named Depp. I bought him last Friday, so just under a week ago.
Don't hate me, I know it's awful, but I got him from Walmart. I've never been confident that they take care of their fish, as evidenced by the fact they sit in little cups with barely enough water for who knows how long.

I just came across them when shopping and wanted to give one a home. I tried to find one that didn't seem too lethargic.

For the meantime, all I have is a really horrible 1/2 gallon "tank" with no filter or heater. I've had it for a long time and it used to be home to one goldfish I had. It's absolutely tiny and a horrible design where it doesn't give the fish much room to swim. I'm sure that the water isn't warm enough either. I guess I didn't remember how small it was when I bought him. =[

I have a 2 gallon tank coming from Petsmart, along with a filter, heater and a thermometer. It should be delivered soon, but in the meantime, I just feel really bad for him because he seems so claustrophobic and unhappy. I don't *think* that he's sick, but again, I'm unsure and it seems like it could be possible. Any signs I could sense of that could also quickly just be attributed to what he is living in.

Is there really anything I can do? I've only changed the water once. Is that alright or should I be doing that more often? I've limited the feeding because he did look a little bloated one day, so it's only been two pellets once to twice daily. Any tips? I know it really can't improve much with this tank, but, I want to try if there is something else. Thank you!

Last edited by BrookeGrace; 04-28-2011 at 03:27 AM.
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #2 
baylee767

With a .5 gallon tank you need to change 100% of the water every day. He's probably cold/suffering from ammonia. 2-4 pellets a day sounds great, but you should add a little variety just for better nutrition (like I feed mine frozen blood worms, mysies shrimp, and pellets) But pellets need to be the staple diet. You should also fast him once a week, if his stomach seems large fast him until it goes down.

If there aren't any caves/multiple plants he might also want hiding places. Just don't use plastic as it can tear their delicate fins. Good for you for getting a heater (= Also, don't worry about buying a Betta from walmart, many Bettas on this site are walmart fish. Once you upgrade to that 2 gallon tank you'll only need to do 1-50% water change 1-100% water change a week. For now just give him daily water changes, be sure not to shock him by a sudden change in water temp, and give him all the TLC you can until his more permanent home arrives.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #3 
BrookeGrace

Thank you for your reply!

Regarding Walmart fish, that's a relief. I asked about this on Yahoo! Answers and I was all but bound and gagged for buying from Walmart and not from a pet store. I felt so guilty, hahah.

I will definitely try the bloodworms! He really does like the pellets, but some variety would be good.

I only have one plant which is actually plastic. I'll take it out when I change the water this morning! Luckily he doesn't go near it much, but I should still remove it. I do have some new silk plants coming as well with the other stuff that I hope will make him happy! =)

He seems pretty tough so I think he will thrive a day or two more until the far superior tank arrives! I'll keep an eye on him as much as I can. :D
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #4 
baylee767

Ugh, the people of yahoo answers arejust plain mean trolls. They yelled at me for keeping a Betta in a 3 gallon tank XD there are two types of people when it comes to Bettas there. The "Keep males and females together in half gallon bowls with monthly water changes" group and the "You are so cruel! How DARE you keep a Betta in anything under 5 gallons? Do you want me to shove you into a closet and keep you there?" Group. That's why I don't take their advice seriously unless it really makes sense. (Hint: don't mention .5 or 2 gallon tanks there or you'll be attacked for having a tank under 5 gallons when 2 gallons is, in most cases, pretty much the minimum for a happy Betta XD) Here people tend to be more understanding and the advice is almost always good. Anyways, good luck with your Betta. Just be careful abound beuing pounded with requests for pictures lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #5 
BrookeGrace

Hahaha, so true!
There is a small handful of people there who seem to know what they're talking about and actually want to help people, but then boatloads of others (basically all the rest) who just want to yell at you for everything you've said.

Like Lord forbid you even buy a fish and the accompanying products for it without their stamp of approval. Heck, Lord forbid YOU even exist without their approval, let alone the fish you own. Yikes! Some of them are just plain scary, lololol.

I will be cautious of that! Ha!
From all that I've read so far, everyone does seem really nice and coherent here! Not the same "ZOMGG UDIDWUTWITHDATFISHZZ?" like on Yahoo.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #6 
Neil D

If the new tank is coming in a few days, put him in a very well rinsed out bucket, or large jug, or something, and for cheap decor, buy a terra cotta pot, break it in 1/2, then voilą! two hidey caves! Make sure you rise everything out WITH NO SOAP! To make him happier in that 1/2 gal bowl, play with him. Hold up a mirror, make him jump (stick a piece of food to ur finger with water and hold it above the tank) Move your finger around outside the bowl, stick the pad of your index finger into the bowl and let him bite you.

the people on this forum are very umderstaning and compassionate, I'm thirteen, and there is a member who's 12, so it's a family site. Good Luck!

Last edited by Neil D; 04-28-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #7 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeGrace View Post
Regarding Walmart fish, that's a relief. I asked about this on Yahoo! Answers and I was all but bound and gagged for buying from Walmart and not from a pet store. I felt so guilty, hahah.
a lot of pet stores aren't any better about taking care of their bettas than wal mart
I don't really like buying from places like that, but then again, yesterday my heart skipped a beat when I spotted a little white and silver ct, and I couldn't not go home with him, so yeah, lol

definitely change his water if you haven't yet. lower temperatures means lowered immune system, so clean water is even more crucial to keep him from catching something
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #8 
Neil D

Some petsmarts and/or Petcos do take really good care of their bettas. My tropical fish store does too. They're in bowls not that much bigger than the cups, but nearly every one had a bubble nest in it. An LFS (local fish store) is the best choice though.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #9 
BrookeGrace

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Other random question I just thought of: Should I add the heater right away once I set up the new tank? I'm going to let it sit 24 hours or so after it's all set up before I put him in there, but will it put him into shock if I don't gradually let him adjust to the temp?

The heater is going to be really small, I think. It won't add too much more heat than room temperature, so maybe 10 to 15 degrees more. It's been pretty cold here still and my house isn't much warmer.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

Once your new tank water is up to the temperature you want, just float his cup in there for an hour or so to gradually acclimate him to the warmer temp.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote