Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other female bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen foods, pellets, flake
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25 - 50% a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner, aquarium salt, IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Everything is 0 If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Open, bloody wound on right side, near her gill. It looks very deep. She is unable to move her pectoral fin due to the damage. Also another wound near her tail on the right side. There seems to be a bulge of raised scales near her belly on the left side. Also has what looks like fin rot which is being treated as of now.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Eating and behaving normally, as far as I can tell.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Last week. I noticed the raised scales on her left side but thought it was a minor injury.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? She is isolated in a hosptial tank. Aquarium salt and black water extract, water heated to 80*. Water changes every other day.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I have had her for two months.

Pics asap. I think it might be bacterial ... whatever it is though, it's moving fast.

Last edited by fleetfish; 04-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #2 
fleetfish

Got one pic ... I don't want to stress her out too much. The wounds are much deeper than you can see here. The larger one is right down to the muscle.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 
tokala

Oh wow, poor thing. I am a little confused- are you suspecting this is an illness or an attack from her fellow sorority members? If an illness, someone may be able to recommend a medication aside from AQ salt to ward off infection. If it's from an attack, perhaps treating it with AQ salt/IAL and keeping her separate from the others will be your best bet. I guess it is always possible she was getting sick and they others attacked her in her weakened state. I am far from knowledgeable on this topic though and hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck and I hope she makes it!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 
fleetfish

It could be either one .... I don't really know, since I've never seen this before. I'm researching to see if bacterial body rot is a possibility, and from the symptoms it seems highly likely. I just don't know where it came from. None of the other girls have it, at least that I can see. I clean the tank very well and do everything that's required to keep them healthy ... maybe she wasn't healthy from the beginning.

Last edited by fleetfish; 04-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
roypattonphoto

how many girls and how large of tank? maybe u have too many girls for the size of tank
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Keep her in QT for now, keep the temp at a *stable*!!! 75-6' to ward off and discourage bacterial growth. Add in 1 tsp/aq per gallon, and after about an hour add .5tsp to both heal and prevent things from worsening. Do 100% changes each day, and keep the tank as dark as you can.

If you have any, add IAL into the QT for its medicinal properties. If not, steep a bag of decaf* green tea to tan her water.

Keep an eye out for any kind of fuzzy/stringy white stuff on or by the wound. If it begins to develop, it might be columnaris, which should be treated with a gram negative antibiotic.

Until then, though, dose the salt from 1-2tsp/gallon, keep the tank cool but stable and keep it dark. :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #7 
fleetfish

Unhappy

Well I just came home . . . damn. Dis is gone. I guess everything was too much for her.

And now another girl, Lalaith is injured. She jumped out of the tank to the floor when I was feeding them (about five feet!) and hit herself pretty badly on an open CD case. Her cheek is swollen and bleeding heavily, she's not eating . . . poor baby girl . . . . I'm keeping her in salted water with BWE, 80*. WCs every day.

god i hope she makes it.

If she goes I'll have lost three girls in a week.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Im sorry, hun :c

Keep the other girl's water clean, lower the temp to about 76', salt it and keep it DARK, like pitch black. <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

So, time to diagnose the sorority.

You've got an aggressive girl in there someplace.

How many girls in sorority?
Other fish?
What is the speed of the water flow in tank?

Nibbles are fairly common when girls try to assert themselves and are no longer afraid but bites can go foul very quickly, your girls could probably break your skin if they wanted to, amazing amount of leverage on their jaws.

There has to be some kind of stimulus in the tank that is agitating them, either too few girls or the extended water conditions.

I need the full readings for the sorority tank, its temp, the flow, how many girls in it, how many fish total. How much of what do you feed a day, lighting, plants, etc. Pics will show me most the non-chemical info.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #10 
Pekemom

Fleetfish - how is the other girl doing now (the one who took the flying leap)? I agree with Thunderloon. There is some dynamic going on in the tank. By that I mean one of the girls may be responsible for the injuries -

Hope the jumper makes it through. =((
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote