Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Betta Valium

Do they make it?

I'm kidding...sort of...

..but...

I have my 2 boys set up in a divided 5.5 gallon tank. They have been in there for a week or two now and I cannot keep them from flaring at each other through the mesh divider. They do it almost constantly. My one guy Oscar I believe may have bit his fin (the grey guy on the right).I Didn't see him do it and his fins were a little ragged and pinkish when I got him...so..not sure if it's finrot or biting.. I am guessing biting though because when he isn't flaring he is quite the little spazz.

Anyways..I was wondering if indeed he is biting what kind of things can I add to his home to keep him comfortable and less likely to bite or get stressed out?

I even tried adding some anacharis around the divider but they just seem to go over and through it to get to the mesh.

Should I try to take Oscar out of his divided section, or wait a little while and see if they settle in?
I don't really have another tank for him to go in at the moment but I can easily get him a critter keeper to place him in until I can.For now, I am just watching him carefully as I don't have anywhere else to place him at the moment.

Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Nice job on your tank...looks good.....and yes, Betta Valium would be IAL or Oak leaf....the tannins can sometimes have a soothing effect on them......and it has good healing/repair properties for the fins along with helping stress....

Maybe, use a second piece of mesh on your divider to see if you can block some more of the view between the two...just a thought....or some other type of solid material...maybe.....I have never used dividers so I really don't know that much about them to be honest.....I would think even with them not being able to see each other.......just being in the same water you will have other senses to alert them of another male.....

They may also just need more time to adjust to each other too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Nice job on your tank...looks good.....and yes, Betta Valium would be IAL or Oak leaf....the tannins can sometimes have a soothing effect on them......and it has good healing/repair properties for the fins along with helping stress....

Maybe, use a second piece of mesh on your divider to see if you can block some more of the view between the two...just a thought....or some other type of solid material...maybe.....I have never used dividers so I really don't know that much about them to be honest.....I would think even with them not being able to see each other.......just being in the same water you will have other senses to alert them of another male.....

They may also just need more time to adjust to each other too.....
Thankyou. I have some IAL on the way via mail.
I think I might try adding another piece of mesh though until then. hopefully it helps!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I think it would also help if it was, say, black mesh. Clear mesh is MUCH easier for them to see through.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

This is true! I just used some black mesh to slide in there. Man was that difficult and finger painful getting that in while the tank was setup.
I plan on completely redoing the divider and making it a little better after I get my other 10 gallon up and running. I don't like how it sort of "bows" in more on Oscars side.I may end up just moving the little guy into his own tank though.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #6 
russalka

Let me know how it works out. I used aquarium sealant to glue in one commercial divider and one colored mesh divider this evening. I'm going to put aquarium floss between the two halves so that there is some water flow but the view is obstructed. Both Chocolate and Ginsberg are in other tanks/bowls while the sealant is curing.

(The aquarium sealant will also take care of Chocolate's clever sneaking between the side of the tank and the side of the divider problem.)
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #7 
Pekemom

Your tanks are so pretty, LittleBitty..
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Your tanks are so pretty, LittleBitty..
Thankyou Pekemom!