Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
JillyE

New Betta, new problem ; (

Hi all,
My second time here. I rescued a Betta boy from Meijer last Sunday. He was in a cup with disgusting, filthy water. I have him in a 5 gallon tank with a small filter, and heater. Heat is constant at 78. All water params are good. Sm amt salt in water.

Day after I got him, he started darting around, and trying to scratch himself (flashing). I noticed on his body, the color was "mottled".. looked like bald patches. Pet store recommended Maracide and Marasyn.. Did one dose of that, and the flashing got worse. Next morning, stopped the med and did an 80% water change. Today, he is still darting to the bottom, hanging behind the filter and bottom trying to itch himself. Appetite good, energy level good.

I don't want to start any treatment now without some good advice!
This is how he looks today. Any idea's what I am dealing with? Thanks,
Jilly
Attached Images

Last edited by JillyE; 04-07-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Better picture
JillyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you tell if he is itching more toward the gills or his body, is he flashing a lot or just on occasion, are the fins clamped too, how is his appetite and what kind of dechlorinator are you using and how much salt.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
JillyE

Only flashing occastionally today. Used 3 teaspoons aq salt in 5 gal. Using Top Fin Water Conditioner, we have well water, so chlorine shouldn't be an issue. I have two other Betta boy's who do just fine in the water w/ what I add.
Seems to me he is trying to itch his body more (?) No clamped fins. He is surprisingly in good spirits..
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

He may be adjusting to your well water metal content since he is a new fish....some can be more sensitive to the metals than others especially when they come from poor conditions and he looks like he may have some missing scale too.....I would increase your salt to a therapeutic level 1tsp/gal if you are going to use the salt, however, it is often better to treat in QT if you are going that route IMO..its easier to control the dosage since water changes are needed too with a treatment.....

Eating and acting okay other than the occasional flashing???
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 
JillyE

Thanks ; ) By "QT", you mean quarantine? He is in a tank by himself. Can I ask how often should I do water changes/salt treatment? Would you suggest using Spring water as opposed to the well water for faster healing? Or a mix of both?
Yes, other then his itching/flashing, he has a good appetite, and is very active.
Jilly
Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Yes, QT is quarantine and the reason for QT is that is it easier to treat and make 100% daily water changes with the proper amount of salt....correct dosage is important so not to cause resistant issues....

I would use your well water....this way he can adapt to your source water....I have well water with high metal content and often I will see itching problems the first week or so with new fish...once they adjust they are fine with an occasional itch from time to time.....

Good that overall he is eating and behaving okay....he is a lovely fella too by the way....
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 
JillyE

You are a doll, thank you so much for your help. ; )) These little bugger's sure do keep us hoppin'! I have been a very worried Mom the last few days.
Thank you again, so very much..
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #8 
JillyE

Hello 'Old Fish Lady',
Did the 100% water change w/1tsp. salt last night. Fishie seemed mellow for awhile, but today, he is flashing like crazy. He curls his body and either lays on the bottom, or against the filter or heater.
Few times today, he was face up in the upper corner of the tank. ; ( I just feel like something may be wrong, as the occastional flashing has increased. I did notice his fins look a bit "sticky" and minimally clumped together. Although, he is still eating just fine.

One question- If I don't see an improvement in the next day or so, should I look into giving him some meds? Would you suggest treating for bacterial or fungal? Both?
Thanks for your time!
Jilly
Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #9 
roadrunner

Clean water works best for me. Like OFL mentioned "I would use your well water. This way he can adapt to your source water". I'm not too keen on using salt for my boys (but that's just me) and over medicating may cause more problems. Could you get some almond leaves and try those?
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 
JillyE

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Funny you should mention the Almond Leaf, I have that on my list of things to get. Do you know where I can find it?