Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Red face Looking for a cheapish tank...

Me thinks Im going to get another betta. I have a 5 gallon hex with one fish in it, but would kinda prefer to get another tank. Yeah, crazy, right?

Problem is, Im on a budget. Problem-er is I cant go above 5 gallons (so I cant upgrade to a ten) because right below where my 10 could go is my dad's $20000+ computer set up...Heh, he does NOT want that much water in the room above! So Im limited to some sort of 5 gallon, with acrylic being best (for leaks).

Id like to stay above 3 gallons and below 5. So far Im having awful luck searching around, booo. I dont wanna spend more than $40, and even thats a stretch.

BUT! I dont*** need anything but a filter and the tank. Ive got everything else, which is nice.

So far Ive found these tanks but each I have concerns with...

I like this type, its cool! :D Lidless is an issue, but mesh or a makeshift lid would work so meh....Anyone seen/heard of it? (just a random seller, lol):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Finnex-4-Gallon-...item2c5835d9dd

This one from fish.com...The other stuff in it I dont need, but the size is good and so is the price! Im nervous about the plastic, not acrylic, and dont know much about the filter...

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

Ive been spoiled by marineland's products til now, so I dont know much by way of tanks....Help me, guys?

Thankies for the suggestions :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Have you looked into this one? It comes with a filter and CFL light, and it's soooo cheap! I don't have one so I can't give a recommendation based on experience, but if I was in the market for a new small tank, that would definitely be at the top of my list!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

lol the summary for the tank from fish.com says "Just add gravel, fish and water!"

...why would you add the fish before the water? xD
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
scootshoot

Yep was going to echo Lola. 25 bucks for that Hawkeye is an amazing deal. At present I have a 14 community and a 5 gallon. I could fit one more in the fish room and that Hawkeye is awfully tempting, lol
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I agree with the 5 gallon hawkeye. I have the other 5 gallon kit from walmart. It was 27 dollars but it is a glass aquarium. If you want to go smaller though... Petsmart and Petco sell 2.5 gallon aquarium tanks. They're about 14.00 but they don't come with a filter or anything just the empty tank. (everything else it needs can be bought right there though.) They have versa glass tops and filters that can fit into the 2.5 gallon nicely. Or you could get the 2-3 gallon critter keeper and fit a little filter in it and use a clip light for the light.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I have the 5 gallon glass Tetra Kit from Walmart, and I love it. The filter is great (it's made by marineland). It's more pricey than the Hawkeye 5 gal Hex, but it's glass, which is my preference.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

I have 10 of the fish.com tanks. I really like them. They come with a filter that you can manually adjust the flow. I didn't use any of the decor but all in all they are very good tanks for so cheap!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #8 
phoenix91

I was just looking at the 5 gallon hawkeye from walmart, that is an awfully tempting price.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I'm thinking about getting a hawkeye. My only concern is if I can use a filter other than the whisper it comes with (I prefer HOB filters).. I can't seem to find clear pics of the tank that show how the hood is assembled and if it allows for HOB or even sponge filters

I know I've talked about this with Vaygirl and she loves her hawkeye tank. It's a really cheap yet nice option.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

I own both the Hawkeye 5 and the 5 gal. from fish.com. IMO, I prefer the Hawkeye - only because I like the looks better AND, as stated, it comes with a CFL. The three Hawkeyes I have all came with a HOB filter, but I guess that is luck of the draw - you may get the internal Whisper.

And, yes, they are BOTH acrylic. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote