Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? approx. 80' - 82' F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I have flakes, bloodworms, pellets, but he hasn't eaten anything more than bloodworms since I got him.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? For his tank, every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? approx 50-75% (mostly 75%, off-days are 50% when I'm doing water changes for all the other tanks, too)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (water sits for about two-three days)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No tests yet, but he's in a QT right now

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change (which is concerning :/ ) He loves to suck up air and float at the top, and when he releases bubbles, he starts to sink, so he rushes to the top to get more air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since he arrived from Thailand on March 31st, 2011
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Methalyne Blue (the suggested dose as the label says (1 drop per gallon))
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None other than what he has now
How old is your fish (approximately)? Approx. 4-5 months.

Okay, here's an abridged thing for those who don't know about Rev'.
I got him from Newbettas a while back, he arrived on the 31st of March, and he has not perked up since I got him.

I did acclimate him first (not just on temperature, but the water too) and kept him in one of those box things that petstores use to catch fish. He was in clear view of Jade (my marble CT/HM/DT (whatever he is, lol)), and he only flared once at Jade (when he flared at him, otherwise Jade leaves Rev alone). After that, he kept up his air-eating habits.

When I was sure he was acclimated to his water, I put him in his personal tank. He seemed to perk up a little, exploring things and slithering around the bottom to look at the decorations... after he got used to it, he went right back to air-eating and floating. He doesn't float on his side, though.

Since I've had him, he's eaten at least three bloodworms total, but not on the same day. He hasn't eaten anything in the past few days now.

Any more information needed, please let me know. I'm really worried about Revenant. D:
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I hate to bump this, but seriously, can I get a little help?

Edit: Here, I'm adding some pictures of him. I don't think it'll really help, but hey.

What he looks like (this was taken the day I got him)

What he was doing about 3-4 days later... and still doing in his QT. x/ Just... floating there. (This is a top view, btw)

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-07-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
BettaMama11

I'm no expert but maybe he's still adjusting to his new surroundings?? pictures might be helpful for the more experienced betta keepers here they may be able to spot something?? Hope he perks up soon!!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I've had him for a bit over a week now. I'd think he'd be used to it by now. Something's definitely up. D:
Another thing... my granpa used to be a betta breeder. He doesn't know what's up with him, but he knows something's not right.

I just put pictures up right as you said that. Thanks, though. :D
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #5 
BettaMama11

He's so cute! hmmm...I don't know...the eating thing I remember one of my girls took 2 weeks to start eating =( That red circle on his...left side? is that just his natural coloring..I noticed he doesn't have it on his right side...hopefully you get some help soon!! =)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

That red circle is just his insides. xD He's flaring at Jade (He was in a QT adjusting to his new water, and I had his QT in Jade's tank so he could get used to the temperature, too).

If it doesn't look like he's flaring, he also has invisible gills. >>
He's a really transparent fish. |D More so than what the pictures show.

And I hope he doesn't go without eating for two weeks! D:

Thanks tho'... I hope help comes to the rescue. Nice to have a bit of company while I wait, lol
Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
BettaMama11

Oh!!! I see!! I hope that he doesn't go without eating for two weeks either!! it was a stressful time for me! Thankfully someone suggested feeding a tiny piece of pea and that got things going =) Now she's a little piggy! Yeah the waiting is the frustrating part! lol...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Hm... I might try that pea thing tomorrow morning. Gotta see if we even have any in the house, lol... >>

Tiny piece like... tip of a pencil size? Or just big enough for his mouth?
As you can see, he has quite a large mouth, so I might have to give him half of one, lol.

Still, eating aside, it's the floating that concerns me most at the moment.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #9 
BettaMama11

just boil like one pea remove the outer casing and mash it up...then just give him a tiny piece..i'd say yeah like the tip of a pencil, just to see how it goes, don't feed too much pea, too much isn't good for them...the floating..I don't know about that I'm afraid :( ooh also you could try garlic soaked pellets! after the pea I gave lily garlic soaked pellets the day after she started eating just regular un-soaked pellets..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

It can take a while for them to adjust. If he just came from the breeder, he's probably used to eating live or at least frozen foods, and might not even recognize a pellet as food. Keep trying, and remove uneaten food after a few minutes. They can go a long time without eating, but eventually he should get hungry enough to figure it out.

As for the air/bubble thing, I'm not sure...does it seem like he's gasping for air? It could possibly be a water problem, but if your other fish aren't having problems I'm not sure. Definitely get your water tested when you can, just in case there's a problem there. Where do you get your source water (ie city water, well water, etc)? You said you don't use additives, does that mean you don't use conditioner? If not, that could be his problem. If you're on city water, definitely pick up some conditioner (I don't think it's needed for well water, but it probably couldn't hurt either way). You said you acclimated him when you got him, which is good, do you remember how long you spent acclimating him?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote