Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #11 
bettafish15

I dont see anything wrong with him, like everyone said, it could be the lack of water conditioner. He does have quite a bent spine though o_o
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #12 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
It can take a while for them to adjust. If he just came from the breeder, he's probably used to eating live or at least frozen foods, and might not even recognize a pellet as food. Keep trying, and remove uneaten food after a few minutes. They can go a long time without eating, but eventually he should get hungry enough to figure it out.

As for the air/bubble thing, I'm not sure...does it seem like he's gasping for air? It could possibly be a water problem, but if your other fish aren't having problems I'm not sure. Definitely get your water tested when you can, just in case there's a problem there. Where do you get your source water (ie city water, well water, etc)? You said you don't use additives, does that mean you don't use conditioner? If not, that could be his problem. If you're on city water, definitely pick up some conditioner (I don't think it's needed for well water, but it probably couldn't hurt either way). You said you acclimated him when you got him, which is good, do you remember how long you spent acclimating him?
Right, and I am still trying the food thing. But seeing as how he's already eaten a little, wouldn't he already recognise it?

He's not gasping for air, either. He just... sits there, floating... sometimes not even moving his gills. O_o
I tap lightly on the glass and he's still alive, but he probably doesn't need too much oxygen if he's just doing nothing. xP

Uh... city water? I guess. But the only bad stuff in it is chlorine. My granpa and I checked what they put in the water (since all our Amano shrimp started dying off suddenly, so we suspected a chlorine substitute or copper... neither is in it by the way).*
I do have conditioner, and I use it on those off-off days that I don't have water ready or it hadn't sat out for a day or so. It's API Stress Coat "Fish and Tap Water Conditioner" ... I probably should've said that in my first post, now that I think about it, but I know I put that in his new tank before he arrived, since it was a new tank and such.
*And if we do this for all the tanks (let water sit for a while, then use it) and none of the fish are acting crazy, shouldn't it be fine? Yeah, he's used to Thai water, but after acclimation, shouldn't it be fine?

Acclimation was... shoot... I don't remember exactly, but I got him when I got home from work... *wracks her brain* ... I'd say I acclimated him for about four hours? But the container I had him in (QT at the time) doesn't hold a lot of water in the first place, so it didn't take long to fill.
I just measured the container, too. It's 5 long, 4 1/2 tall, 2 1/2 deep. I filled it up to the water line in the 10 gallon, so... 3 1/2 tall water.
If that helps. >>

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #13 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I dont see anything wrong with him, like everyone said, it could be the lack of water conditioner. He does have quite a bent spine though o_o
lol, yes. That's the way he is, though. (I didn't see it before I bought him, I was so excited that I found my dream betta, LOL)
Spoony-headed, derpy Revenant. <3

And yeah, nothing appears physically wrong, but floooooat. D';

Edit: If this helps anyone, this is the picture(s) of him that the breeder took.

Man, can they take good pictures, lol... but he's definitely more active there. He paid barely any attention to Jade when the two were within sight.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-07-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #14 
BettaMama11

Soooooooooooo pretty!!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #15 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Heheh, he is. Why I had to get him, lol.
Besides him being a complete Cellophane. Oh man, have I looked so hard for an "invisible" betta. ;'D
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #16 
LolaQuigs

I would suggest using water conditioner every time so that he's always in consistent conditions. Conditioner also gets rid of a lot of harmful things like heavy metals, that aging the water doesn't get rid of. I like Prime, it gets rid of chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and converts ammonia to a less harmful substance. And a bottle will last a long time!

I don't know if that's the problem or not, but it's always a good idea to try and keep your water conditions as consistent as you can.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #17 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
I would suggest using water conditioner every time so that he's always in consistent conditions. Conditioner also gets rid of a lot of harmful things like heavy metals, that aging the water doesn't get rid of. I like Prime, it gets rid of chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and converts ammonia to a less harmful substance. And a bottle will last a long time!

I don't know if that's the problem or not, but it's always a good idea to try and keep your water conditions as consistent as you can.
Thanks, and yeah, I'll keep the water conditioned then. The conditioner I have does the same Prime does, removing the invisible crud and nastiness.

Still want to find a more direct solution to his current condition though. The QT has water with a tad of conditioner in it. (I say tad 'cause it doesn't take much to treat 10 gallons. x_X) Methylane Blue should help, but it's doing nothing.

I want to say SBD, but as much as I've searched the forums, I can't find any threads about it for some reason. >:C
So... what are the symptoms for that? I mean, he isn't swimming right, but ajsfhaghga
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #18 
LolaQuigs

Symptoms of SBD include: bloating, difficulty/inability to swim down, and the fish tipping to one side. There may be more, I'm not sure, but those are the symptoms my fish Calliope, who has SBD at the moment, is exhibiting.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #19 
BlakbirdxGyarados

He is having problems swimming down (especially when he inhales a ton of air into his stomach xP) and the first few days I had him, I would sometimes see him floating on his side. 8|
Bloating, ah... not sure. He's a big fish, as the pics show, but compared to how fat Jade got when he decided to eat the Ghostfishes' food, he's not bloated. |D

How would you treat SBD?
It seems more likely he has this than anything else.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-07-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: >> I dunno
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #20 
Harley

Check this out:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bett...dder_betta.php

Good Luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote