Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 
maxima423

my 20g long betta planted project

so this is day 1 of my 20g long betta planted tank project, each compartment will have its own set of theme and plants

tank - 20g long
stock - bettas
mixed substrate - eco complete/gravel mix
lighting - coralife 30" T5NO 18w per bulb, both 6700k

this is still in the making, will take a few months to complete

missing: more hovering plants for other three compartments

this is a FTS

first compartment:

approximately: 5-5.5g
inhabitant: Pontus, MGHM rosetail betta
plant - brazilian pennywort planted and hovering

second compartment: i want to make this into a only Cryptocoryne tank, this is my "Crypt" tank

inhabitant: Spot, CT betta
plant: Cryps - lucens, wenditti red/green
missing: hovering plant, can anyone recommend any?

third compartment: my plan for this is to have multiple chain swords and having the banana plant in the middle as the center piece, makes it unique i guess lol, i plan on getting one more banana plant

inhabitant: Giyo, CT betta
plant: pygmy chain sword, banana plant
missing: hovering plant

fourth compartment: this is the tank will prob take the most work, i plan on putting one more DW and getting more plants that should be tied to a DW, this tank will have no rooted plants, any plant suggestions would be cool, also i am waiting for the java moss to grow so i can add another DW that would arch over his whole space ^_^

inhabitant: Crius, double tail betta
plant: bolbitus, java moss, water sprite

this is still in the making, i think another two to three months and ill be finished, any suggestions to make this tank better would be appreciated ^_^
maxima423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Wow that looks wonderful, I bet your fish are very happy in that habitat! I really like the look of that Brazilian Pennywort, is it a difficult plant to maintain? I think the arching driftwood sounds really cool, I can't wait to see pictures as your project comes along!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

It looks wonderful! The only problem I see is that you have no caves for your fish to hide in. To me, that's a crucial part of any Betta environment. Just get some small terracotta pots and make sure you plug the drain holes so they don't get stuck!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #4 
maxima423

oh okay, thats a great idea, ill do that the next time i head to home depot, and thanks for the suggestions and complements ^_^

@lolaquigs, oh it is, its a huge pain, i trimmed for about an hour and this is how many stems i got, i bought two of them at the store, and this is how many i got after trimming, the little ones you see just floating around near the substrate, they will grow soon and thats what i am waiting for so i can plant or float them
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

You're welcome. =) To plug the holes, you can just stick a piece of aquarium sponge in the hole.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Ok, that is a plant I will definitely hold off on then! lol
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #7 
maxima423

lol, you don't have to trim it, I just wanted too, it's a great hovering plant, when I first put it in the tank, over night Pontus made a bubble nest and I looked under the leaves and their were bubbles right under it, was really nice to see, and they really go well with pontus's color =]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
maxima423

oh i forgot to give a updated FTS

also if you can see, all four bettas are in the top just "chillin like a villian", so happy they are doing that in the stems ^_^

the two rescue containers are in the front, i dont have any where else to put them, i might buy a critter keeper, but this is fine for now until i can rehome them

so you think i can grow plants in the containers in the front of the tank!! i plan to put either one java fern or one anubias plant in both containers

the bigger container is in a constant 80*
the smaller is around 75
i do multiple water changes for them per day, i just take some of the 20g water and switch them out and put some prime

the messy stuff in the right container are just some leaves that i need to clean off when i get home later