Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #1 
Tsuhei

Pacman Frog Assistance, Please!

It's been a while since I've started a topic here However, it's not for betta fish help.

About two weeks ago, I purchased a lovely Pacman Frog from my local Petsmart (I couldn't resist!) and I've been wanting one for a few months now.

However, I've run into a few issues that are now very troublesome problems.

Currently, I have my frog in a 10g tank with about 3-4 inches of Eco-Earth substrate. The temperature during the day is about 85F and 75F at night. The humidity stays in the range of 70%-80% with two daily mistings. My pacman also has a water dish for soaking, and a few ornaments (including a hide) that I've recently taken out for a very important reason. I also have a 4 watt undertank heater I have placed on the side so when it burrows it doesn't burn itself, and a 50 watt heat lamp to aid in the 12 hour night/day cycle.

Since I've purchased my frog, it has not eaten a single thing. I've tried using forceps, offering calcium dusted/undusted food, and allowed a cricket to freely roam its tank. I understand they take time to adjust, but I think two, going on three weeks is a bit too long. I have offered it crickets and red wigglers. Surprisingly though, it has defecated twice (well formed as well) even though it hasn't eaten anything, and has shed once.

It is not estivating right now - his/her skin appears to be normal and it is very much awake, even though it does not move very much. What also worries me is that it is not as aggressive as I would expect it to be... I've picked it up only a few times, and each time I try it urinates..and when I put my hand in the tank to fix something or attempt to feed it, it doesn't growl or "bark". In fact, I've never seen it open its mouth. It also does not appear to have any ailments, such as a fungal infection or red leg.

What I really need help with is how do I get it to eat? I've tried rubbing the food gently against its mouth with forceps, dusting it, keeping it plain, placing the frog in a separate container for feeding, let the crickets free roam...nothing seems to be working and my frog definitely needs to eat since it is still a juvenile. Should I force feed (this stresses them out and I really, REALLY don't want to resort to this)?

Any suggestions from experienced Pacman owners??
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #2 
Duncan13

I have a pacman frog and he also had eating problems when I first got him. They can go months without food and still survive, so there's no need for lots of worry. How big his he? If he is large enough, you can try feeding him pinky mice, I heard that they like more "meaty" foods.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #3 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan13 View Post
I have a pacman frog and he also had eating problems when I first got him. They can go months without food and still survive, so there's no need for lots of worry. How big his he? If he is large enough, you can try feeding him pinky mice, I heard that they like more "meaty" foods.
He's about the size of a half-dollar, so he's pretty small. I just don't want to buy a pinkie mouse and have him not eat it >.< I'd rather not have a baby mouse have a slow death because it's refused as food. But I don't think my pacman is large enough yet to have a pinkie...maybe in a few months
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
Tsuhei

Hooray! I force fed my frog about 4 days ago...it was surprisingly easy. I offered it a cricket via forceps today and it ate the cricket!! :D So happy!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #5 
kathstew

Awww. I am glad that it is eating now! I would love to see tons of pics of it! I think Pacman frogs are adorable!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote