Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #1 
ScarletAngel209

Unhappy Not sure whats wrong... my betta tail

Hi!

Okay, so i woke up this morning and saw my betta's tail looking a bit raggedy, now i'm worried it could be fin rot. How exactly do you tell if it is??

Last night when i was playing around with him and feeding him his tail looked perfect, not a patch missing, no darker patches on the edges, no white to bee seen anywhere. This morning when I saw his tail i tried to check to see if i could see anything again, no white edges, no darker spots, no nothing, just highly ragged, and i noticed a bit on the tip of the bottom fin to. I did buy a tiny algae eater yesterday, could he be the cause of this? Not sure if thats possible because the 2 of them keep to themselves.

Please help! I'm terribly worried.

Thank You!!
ScarletAngel209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
turtle10

If you could give us more info it would be great, like tank size and water change schedule etc.

What type of algae eater is it?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 
ScarletAngel209

Sure... I have a 7 gallon tank. Do 25 - 50% water changes once a week. I have 1 betta, 6 harlequin tetra's and a siamese algae eater, all of which pretty much keep to themselves. Pretty good filter running. I tested the water for nitrates etc. and everything is looking fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like he is suffering from an overstocked tank and fin nipping......you are way over stocked...I would remove the Betta and keep him in his own tank and increase your water changes on the 7gal to 50% weekly with vacuum....understand that you algae eater will out grow the tank and as it matures will stop eating algae and start looking for high protein foods usually in the form of the slim coat of slow moving fish.....

Once you get him in his own tank I would start frequent water changes to encourage healing and re-growth as well as prevention of secondary infection.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 
ScarletAngel209

Sounds like i will have to make some kind of plan. Not really in a position to seperate them now but i would rather keep my betta and see who else wants fish and give the harlequins away. Thanks, I am well aware about the algae eater, mom and boyfriend have them and see how they grow. Will let you know what happens.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #6 
ScarletAngel209

So... it's fin rot and not nipping. Any ideas for treatments that work??
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

If u going to treat him u need to separate him from the other fish. Fin rot can be bacterial or fungal. Fungal is very similar to bacterial fin rot usually caused by initial wound on the fins,nippy tank mates....

I know Oldfishlady recommend aquarium salt ,BECAUSE Aquariums salt is antibacterial/anti fungal. 1tsp/gall and 100% water changes for 10 days.

If u want to use medications i would recommend TETRACYCLINE API with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR by Jungle. Tetracycline API treats gram negative and gram positive bacteria ,and this particular medication can be mixed together

But i think if he is active and eating well u can do aquarium salt treatment.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

Betta, 5 harqies and an eater means a simple upgrade to a ten gallon to get close to correct stock. I've discovered that actual algae eaters don't really count on the inches rule until they're big fish that you have to feed tabs to.

Giving the algae eater lots of little places to hide that the betta won't get stuck in would work great.

Funny thing about betta tails is they can tear them on their own doing flip-turns and charging through plants. Is the intake to your filter covered with a sponge? It may be he's been perching there instead of ducking to his normal spot.

All the others should be OK with a little aquarium salt but he may continue to bait the algae eater.

Tetra and tails: they WILL bite it if they are hungry.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #9 
ScarletAngel209

Thanks! the algae eater is still really tiny so think i got a bit of time before i need to upgrade. I treated the tank with salt and didn't see any change, had some good general purpose anti-bacterial treatment so put a bit of that in, now it seems like he's going back to normal... ate like a little piggy again this morning. Looking to get another 7 gallon and putting him in there on his own, or giving the tetra's and algae eater to my brother who just bought a 31 gallon tank. Thanks for all the info!!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

Yah, I'd not leave the harqies with a male, they get kinda showy. The little striped tetra, caracidae (that I call crack-a-day because I love watching them), are fine with most any male except maybe fighter/roundtail.

You can put a lone girl in with the harqies and put boy beside it if you do two tanks... they'll keep each other company just make sure the lids discourage "flights of love".

Betta can jump, the girls can really jump.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote