O.K. so we've (Harley the fish and I) have been fighting his fin rot problem for a while. What I'm doing isn't working so I'm going to plan B, which should have been plan A, if I had a functioning brain.
1) So what's the best way to build a QT area? Right now Harleys in his 10 gallon but I also have 2 x 1 gallon bowls. I thought I could use one of those but since they don't have a heater and won't float in the tank, we're probably not going with that option. Whats the best way to utilize the heater in my 10 gallon tank?
2) Can I just use an old (cleaned and de-labeled) 2 liter (roughly 0.5 gallon, I know it's pretty small) pop bottle (or a 1 gallon milk jug) and put it in the tank so I can use its heat or should I use something else like a tupperware container? Either way, how do I attach it/secure it so it doesn't float away or tip over? I'd rather not use something like duct tape to secure it as that will probably be a mess to clean later.
3) Once he's got rid of the fin rot, should I ditch the Java Fern that's in the 10 gallon, will it be contaminated?
4) Can I just use hot water on the substrate to clean it?
5) Should I throw out the sponge I have for the pump baffle?
6) Is there anything else I'm missing?
Thanks a lot. I almost think we need a sticky about QTs as lots of people are asked to use them but I'm guessing newbies like me aren't sure how to do it.