Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 
CyerRyn

My first Betta :)

I know the title is a little redundant, but I couldn't come up with a more appropriate way to say "Hi, I'm new to the forums and this is my first Betta fish". I'm sure most here are experienced Betta owners/breeders, so I'd just like to say that I'm a very inexperienced fish owner. I bought my Betta for my son for Christmas (so technically it's his but he's 7yrs old so I do all the maintenance and feedings, he just likes to oooo and awwww at him). Anyway back on point, he's a beautiful red with some various shades of blues in his scales. I bought him at the local pet store. I keep him in a decent sized fish bowl and clean it once a week (which he really enjoys). I never knew I'd love a fish sooooo much. I'm normally a cat person, but I'm not allowed to have big pets in my apartment so my son's Betta has been a refreshing little bubbly friend for me. My son originally named him "Macaroni" which he later changed to "Zazzer" because he said "You eat macaroni, and I don't wanna eat my fishy". Zazzer loves feeding time. When I first got him, he wouldn't eat anything that I bought him. I had flakes (which I found out to be a big no-no).. he wouldn't eat it anyway. I tried shrimp pellets, dried blood worms, and finally I got him to eat Betta pellets. I spent around $15 trying all these different foods and the one he loves only cost $1.56.

Zazzer has quite the personality. If I scratch the side of the bowl he'll poof up and swim to where my finger is and seems to glare at me. Once he stops flaring, I'll start saying "who's a good fishy fishy fishy" and he'll start swimming around like some ballet dance. I put in this flat sea shell on the bottom of the bowl and he will sit in it as if it's his throne. King Zazzer, ruler of Fish Bowl. He is such a happy little Betta and he makes me smile every day and has influenced me in wanting more. I've been thinking of getting a 10 gal. tank and putting in 3 dividers so I can get 2 more and put in a filter, but I can look into that more later. I just wanted to introduce myself and my Betta here. I'm glad I found these forums, filled with information I could really use.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 
turtle10

Do you know exactly how big it is? Anything a gallon or less needs 100% daily water changes. Between 1-2 gallons every other day.

What temperature is the tank? Bettas are tropical fish and need temperatures in the 76-80

Welcome to the forum!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #3 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Do you know exactly how big it is? Anything a gallon or less needs 100% daily water changes. Between 1-2 gallons every other day.
Really? I wasn't aware. I'd say its about 1gal. According to this site http://care.betta-fish.com.ar/ it said to change it when the water got cloudy or once a week, I'll change it to every other day.

Quote:
What temperature is the tank? Bettas are tropical fish and need temperatures in the 76-80
The temperature stays around 75F. (It's really warm in my apartment) If I got a 10gal tank I'd definitely be buying a heater for it since that much water would be impossible to stay warm. If you think the 75F isn't sufficient I'll invest in a heater.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....and so true...they can be addictive...lol....hard to have just one......

It sounds like you have a happy healthy Betta...would love to see some pic.....we love pics around here.......

Ask all the questions you need...but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things already......depending on your location you may or may not need a heater...I would get a thermometer if you don't already have one to monitor the water temp in the tank (76-80F) and the temp of the replacement water for the water changes...its important to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent shock issue and use a good dechlorinater with any new water added to the tank....Prime is a good dechlorinator to get...more bang-for-the-buck.......

In 1gal bowls unfiltered=I recommend water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality....

Look forward to pic and hearing more about you and your sons new wet-pet......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #5 
turtle10

I wouldn't use that site again. I was just on it and it said this:
"Notice we recommend putting the bowl in a cool part of your home where the water is 65 to 75 degrees F. not 78 to 80. The lower temperature allows more oxygen in the water and less fish waste because the animals' metabolism is slower."

This is sooo wrong in a lot of ways, bettas must have tropical temperatures, and bettas breathe air from the surface, they don't need highly oxygenated water.

All in all, don't go on that site anymore. It is very wrong.

Ammonia and other toxic chemicals are clear, so waiting until the tank looks dirty just doesn't work.

If the room temp is 75, then the water temp is about 73. It would be okay to wait a week or two until you got the ten gallon and the heater, but if not I really suggest getting a heater. Bettas should never be kept in water below 76 degrees long term.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #6 
denaliwind

Welcome to the forums! :D
I love that your little guy sits in that little shell of his, that must be so adorable. King Zazzer of the fish bowl. XD Sounds like he's enjoying his life. I hope to see pictures of him soon! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 
denaliwind

Quote:
I wouldn't use that site again. I was just on it and it said this:
"Notice we recommend putting the bowl in a cool part of your home where the water is 65 to 75 degrees F. not 78 to 80. The lower temperature allows more oxygen in the water and less fish waste because the animals' metabolism is slower."

This is sooo wrong in a lot of ways, bettas must have tropical temperatures, and bettas breathe air from the surface, they don't need highly oxygenated water.

All in all, don't go on that site anymore. It is very wrong.

Ammonia and other toxic chemicals are clear, so waiting until the tank looks dirty just doesn't work.

If the room temp is 75, then the water temp is about 73. It would be okay to wait a week or two until you got the ten gallon and the heater, but if not I really suggest getting a heater. Bettas should never be kept in water below 76 degrees long term.
OMG... I wish we could close that site down. :( Very, very sad... very, very bad 'information.' D:
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the addicting world of bettas!!!!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #9 
CyerRyn

The temp. in the bowl is 75F. I have a thermometer in the tank. Like I said, my apartment is realllly warm, about 78-80F from being in an upstairs and I get cold too easy so I keep the heater up a bit. I have a heat lamp, I could keep that near the bowl until I can get this tank and heater and such. I'll look through these forums a bit and see what I'd all need to house more than one Betta. I don't want to buy more w/o the proper information and equipment.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Your water temp is just fine......they can tolerate a lot more than they are given credit for.......most of mine (over 300) stay in about 70-75F room temp water for most of their life....it seems the older they get the less tolerant they are to cooler water however, I know my older guys (2+yrs) do better in 75-76F and I get faster fry growth in water temps of 80F...but once weaned and moved to grow-out they are in cooler water and do just fine.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote