Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

Future Fish Home

Like a lot of people, I'm on a budget however I'd still like to proceed in getting another Betta fish. I was looking into 10gal tanks but they look to be too big for the location I'd be placing the tank (width not length it's about 7in.). Picture of location below. (please excuse the Rice Krispies in the background)

Now I was considering a 5gal tank and I found one for a decent price + comes with some of the stuff I'd need >Here<. I don't think this set has a heater so I'd have to buy that separately and I read the reviews that the filter isn't that great but I'd give it a try. I'm just curious if I'd be able to divide it so I can have 2 male Betta's in there? If that's doable I'd like to design each side differently. Match the gravel to the colors of each Betta and put in some pretty fake plants. I'd like to have both real and fake plants at some point, but I'm not sure how to do that and I'd like to research on that before I go about it. If anyone has any suggestions on that I'd really appreciate it. :) I read someone suggested going to a 2nd hand store for like a mug or cup as a make-shift cave. I was thinking of doing that looking for something antique or do the color scheme like the gravel. If I'm missing anything in this plan please let me know. Also I know you're suppose to use a water conditioner. I've been using drop tabs in the bowl called "Bowl Buddies", but I'd like some feedback on a brand or better quality conditioner for Betta's. Thank you.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 
Cassandra90

A 5 gallon will be fine. It will give each betta 2.5 gallons of water. You would have to make a homemade divider since I never see dividers for a 5 gallon tank. Which some one on this site has made them before so hopefully they find you or you can search the threads to see if you find it.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Yup, you can divide a 5 gallon, although it's not ideal. I'd suggest a 25W adjustable heater for that size of tank. A good water condtioner is Seachem Prime, it lasts much longer than average water conditioners, considering it's usage is about 2 drops per gallon. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I have that same tank and I like it.I haven't had any issues with the filter..Actually..The filter current was way to strong so I had to sponge baffle it, but it works pretty well...I have my tank divided for now...

Nevermind the wonky uneven divider.. ( it is not permanent.I plan on redoing it)

As far as water conditioners go I really love PRIME. One bottle seems to last a long while.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 04-08-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

OMG sorry that is huge...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

Is that sand you're using for the ground? That looks so much better than gravel.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyerRyn View Post
Is that sand you're using for the ground? That looks so much better than gravel.
Yep. It is playsand from home depot. It was 2 dollars for a 20 pound bag.

They sell a really nice sand at Petco as well that comes in a few different colors..It is called Caribsea super naturals.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

I have that same tank, and I divided it with a piece of craft mesh. Use a double layer (in black) so they can't see each other very well.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #9 
ollief9

Littlebitty, your divided tank is amazing.

Are you on yahoo answers?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #10 
JackisLost

If I had a space like that I'd get a Mr.Aqua 12 gallon long for sure! It's long, pretty narrow and shallow, perfect for 4 or so bettas! But you did say budget, the opposite of mr.aqua tanks
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote