Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

A pre-fab, store bought divider will, indeed work in a 5 gallon tank, with some slight modifications. I have a top fin divider (the middle replaced with craft/crochet mesh (.50 cents)) in both my hex and the tank above. It needed slight cutting, but the replaced craft mesh made it alright if I messed up, its only .50 cents!

Other substrates to consider are marbles (flat bottomed aquarium marbles!), small river rocks (sold at stores) and sand. I suggest you also purchase a siphon to make water changes easier. Itll get the poo off the bottom AND take water out, making things easier for you.

Btw- that filter's gonna need a baffle. Found that out last night D:

Not gonna lie, bowl buddies kind of suck, haha. Most liquid conditioners are the same, save ones like Prime that remove ammonia, too. Anything that removed chlorine is good, though look for ones that also remove chloramine and heavy metals. Look for one appropriate for dosing your tank- you dont want one that needs 1tsp/ 20 gallons! Find one that goes in drops for .5 or 1 gallons/drop or something that doses 1 tsp/2 gallons. I use top fin.

Fake plants are fine, but take care they are not sharp. If they snag or rip a pair of panty hose, theyre no good. Silk is usually great. Mugs are fine, though make sure they have enough room to swim, dont let it take up too much space! Terra cotta pots are also a good idea, though if they have a hole on the bottom, it NEEDS to be sealed up!

Good live plants are anachairs, java fern, anubias and water sprite in your tank. Other options open up depending on your lighting and substrate options. For now, all but java fern can just float around, and none need high light ;)

Try to get a tubular >15w florescent light to help plants grow!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #12 
Torat

What about something like this:

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1

I have mine divided in two. I got a ten gallon divider kit and just chopped it to size, then put little notches in the plastic of the top of the tank, and it does me just fine. The boys each have their own side and it looks like it was made for a 5 gallon. If you REALLY REALLY wanted to, you could probably divide it into three if you got a 20 gallon divider and then hit up Walmart and got the presentation booklet end holder thing-a-majig things (the name is flying outta my head).

I have one. The dimensions on the Petco site say it's 8 inches deep, but mine only measured to 7.25"? Mine is also a wee bit longer/wider than the site's stated dimensions?
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #13 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torat View Post
What about something like this:

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1

I have mine divided in two. I got a ten gallon divider kit and just chopped it to size, then put little notches in the plastic of the top of the tank, and it does me just fine. The boys each have their own side and it looks like it was made for a 5 gallon. If you REALLY REALLY wanted to, you could probably divide it into three if you got a 20 gallon divider and then hit up Walmart and got the presentation booklet end holder thing-a-majig things (the name is flying outta my head).

I have one. The dimensions on the Petco site say it's 8 inches deep, but mine only measured to 7.25"? Mine is also a wee bit longer/wider than the site's stated dimensions?
Ooo I like that tank. The price is nice too. I was going to put off buying anything until the rummage sales started popping out, but I will really consider this tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will consider all of it and I'll put up pictures when I have everything done *especially of the future new fishy fishy*.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #14 
CyerRyn

I don't mean to double post but I don't know how to edit my above post or if there is even a way to do that. Anyway, my aunt just offered me a 50gal tank. It's like a dream that can't come true since my apartment managers would kill me. I don't think I'd be able to afford to furnish it anyway, but it was one of those "omg I wish I could..." moments.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #15 
fishman12

Good luck!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #16 
Gizmothefreaky

oh my goodness, you could do so much with a 50 gallon!! o.o I would love to have one of those. XD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #17 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
oh my goodness, you could do so much with a 50 gallon!! o.o I would love to have one of those. XD
If I could afford all the maintenance stuff for a tank that size, and all the furnishings and not have my apartment managers freak I would have loved to accepted the tank. It's apparently a "liability" issue though with so much water. We can't even have water beds.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

I haven't seen a waterbed in forever! o_o
I used to know someone with one..And it had to be "drained" ever so often..because they didn't have the anti fungal/stuff that the water inside is supposed to be treated with.. So silly...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #19 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyerRyn View Post
I don't mean to double post but I don't know how to edit my above post or if there is even a way to do that. Anyway, my aunt just offered me a 50gal tank. It's like a dream that can't come true since my apartment managers would kill me. I don't think I'd be able to afford to furnish it anyway, but it was one of those "omg I wish I could..." moments.
Take it & store it!!! It's pretty unlikely that you will ever again be offered a tank like that for FREE!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #20 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Take it & store it!!! It's pretty unlikely that you will ever again be offered a tank like that for FREE!!!!
I have nowhere to store it. Trust me I know what a big deal that size of a tank being offered is, but living in a tiny apartment and my only storage place are my closets it leaves me with nothing else to do but decline. Maybe she'll still have it later down the road. :P

Anyway, I have to scrap the 5gal tank idea and I was given another offer on a 10gallon tank. A friend of mine is willing to sell it to me for $5!! I can get a divider and one more fishy and they'll both have 5gallons of space to play in. Purchasing all the extras (heater, filter, furnishings, etc) will most likely come out to be around the price I was expecting to pay for my original plan, maybe even less. I'm really excited about this and my new found love for Betta's. I'll post pictures the moment I have everything set up!!