Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #1 
cesitlie95

Is this finrot?

Does Scarlet have finrot or is she just tail biting? Also, she is refusing most of the food i give her.. i've tried pellets and flakes!
Name:  scarlet.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  25.3 KB
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Need some more info...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates, when did it start, how long have you had her, how long has she not been eating, what kind of food do you offer and any other symptoms......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #3 
cesitlie95

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? honestly, i dont have a thermometer but the room is around 72 so I'm guessing around there (I need to get a thermometer soon)
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? she lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari bio betta gold pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, Tetra Bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once everyday.. switching from pellets to flakes and feeding bloodworms a few times a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta+ water conditioner with IAL

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins look tattered
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? she just refuses to eat. she usually looks at the things i give her, puts it in her mouth, then spits it back out :(
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days after i got her
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got her at a pet store but I'm guessing under a year.

Last edited by cesitlie95; 04-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would start with some daily 50% water changes for the next 2 days and then 100% water change and then get on a regular schedule of twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% thereafter to maintain water quality in a 1gal unfiltered tank

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with the water changes to prevent temp shock issue and always use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish....you really need to get a thermometer so you can monitor the water temp-both in the tank and for water changes

If the fins start to look worse you may need to start her on aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days....you should start to see signs of regrowth within 4-5 days...

Nutrition is important....try different brand of food and you can also try adding fresh crushed garlic juice laced food to stimulate appetite.....however, once you get the water quality improved often they will start eating again
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #5 
cesitlie95

Ok, thank you very much!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #6 
turtle10

Also a heater! The water is always a few degrees colder than the room temp, and around 72 is too cold.

Bettas should be in temps of 76-80 degrees.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote