Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 
CynthiaRae

Unhappy Poor little... Fungus? Columnaris?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75şish
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but occasionally acclimated in a warm sink and kept in warm areas of the apt.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nope.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Lately Bettafix, but always a conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No, all of our meters are in healthy tanks and a spawning tank, I don't want to risk getting anyone else sick.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large patch of fungus on one side and a smaller on the other.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He didn't react at first, but today he is lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix and Ich/Fungus meds
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had clamp fin from being cold a couple weeks ago, but no sickness.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months?

I did a 100% water change, washed all of Calcipher's rocks, plastic plants and his bamboo shoots, acclimated him normally, and put a couple drops of Bettafix in to ease any stress from water changing. The next day he had what looked like fungus, or maybe ich, on his side, so we upped the bettafix and put in an ich/fungus treatment. I did another water change yesterday and he looks near death today, lethargic and floaty. The patch is larger and he has a small one on the other side. In the large one it looks like his scales are inflamed or rotting off :(

Any suggestions? Treatments? I have no idea what could have happened, could his bamboo be causing this (which has been in his tank, and only his tank, the whole time)?
Attached Images

CynthiaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Your problem may lie in your water change schedule. In a one gallon, your water, at minimum, needs to be changed every 2-3 days, 100%. Each day is recommended.

The tank is also not at an ideal temp, rather, its about 2-3' too low.

These things may have caused your fish stress, which left it open for disease, which- with a tank that is not cleaned enough- may have been why he contracted something.

Normally, fungus is not common and is often mistaken for a bacterial infection like flex. I can see the patch, but is it fuzzy? Stringy? Anything?

You say he had clamped fins? Are they still?

Betta fix is usually considered harmful by this forum, as it does damage to the labrynth organ on the fish. I suggest you discontinue it and continue the other medicines. The ich meds are not going to help, however, unless it says it treats things other than ich. What are the ingredients on the package?

Add 1 tsp/gallon of AQ salt in addition to that...also, keep the tank dark/the surrounding area dark to help him de stress and ward off any further growth.

If youd like, Oldfishlady is very good with diagnoses and would help you with your issue if directed to this thread. PM her.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #3 
CynthiaRae

Thank you for the input, unfortunately he passed while we were at the pet store getting aquarium salt and a heater :( I will definitely start using aquarium salt, I've housed Betta's nearly my whole life and never read anywhere of people using it in their bowls. You learn something new every day :)
CynthiaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Sorry he passed away. Make sure whatever you used for him gets properly sanitized before putting it in or using on any other fish.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaRae View Post
Thank you for the input, unfortunately he passed while we were at the pet store getting aquarium salt and a heater :( I will definitely start using aquarium salt, I've housed Betta's nearly my whole life and never read anywhere of people using it in their bowls. You learn something new every day :)
The aquarium salt should only be used to treat disease, not as a regular additive btw.

So sorry about your little guy :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columnaris, fungus, sick