Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #1 
Jonni

Heater

I'm new here so sorry if I keep posting in the wrong areas!

I'm going to post a picture of my tank set up..

I hope that worked...
well about the heater, does it go inside or outside of the tank? (I don't have it yet!)
I'm really worried, and I know I should get one, but I don't want to overcrowed the tank (1.5 gal) and I just want him to be happy. I didn't get the fish yet either, the tank has been running for not even 24 hours yet.

My question really is, is a heater necessary? Where can I find cheap ones? (my step mom bought the tank and the marbles and the cave thing - everything else, I think, is up to me. I have fifty dollars)
There's a PetSmart and a PetCo in walking distance from me. I have to buy a net and I guess a heater. Sorry if I sound confusing, i'm just excited and worried at the same time.
Jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 
briser

Yes a heater is really necessary. Bettas are tropical fish, therefore need warm water. :)

I bought a very cheap $10 heater from walmart for my 3 gallon and it heats it up perfectly to 78*. You could always try that and if it doesn't work right for your 1.5 gallon tank take it back.

Ps: Most heaters go on the inside.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #3 
Jonni

Quote:
Originally Posted by briser View Post
Yes a heater is really necessary. Bettas are tropical fish, therefore need warm water. :)

I bought a very cheap $10 heater from walmart for my 3 gallon and it heats it up perfectly to 78*. You could always try that and if it doesn't work right for your 1.5 gallon tank take it back.

Ps: Most heaters go on the inside.
I found one on Walmart's website, a Tetra 2-20 (gal) water heater. I think i'm going to get that one, it says it heats it up to 78 degrees. And I already have a thermometer. Thanks so much :)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonni View Post
I'm new here so sorry if I keep posting in the wrong areas!

I'm going to post a picture of my tank set up..

I hope that worked...
well about the heater, does it go inside or outside of the tank? (I don't have it yet!)
I'm really worried, and I know I should get one, but I don't want to overcrowed the tank (1.5 gal) and I just want him to be happy. I didn't get the fish yet either, the tank has been running for not even 24 hours yet.

My question really is, is a heater necessary? Where can I find cheap ones? (my step mom bought the tank and the marbles and the cave thing - everything else, I think, is up to me. I have fifty dollars)
There's a PetSmart and a PetCo in walking distance from me. I have to buy a net and I guess a heater. Sorry if I sound confusing, i'm just excited and worried at the same time.
the tank looks nice! I like the little cave pot.Just keep an eye on your betta and make sure he can find his way back out.Bettas are silly.

Heaters usually go inside the tank. I think they are necessary. Betta fish are tropical fish and they like temperatures between 77-80. I am not sure which ones are best for a tank that size, but I am sure some other users here will know. I have heard good things about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Sub.../dp/B00106X8QG
But, I haven't personally used that one yet.
You might want to pick up a thermometer while you're at petco so you can keep an eye on the temperature. They're about 2dollars there.
You could also get a few live plants if you wanted to..bettas love live plants to hide in... But that is up to you!
Also, getting a net is up to you as well..I personally prefer not to use a net for my fish..I am too afraid it will hurt their fins. I keep the plastic cup/bowl that my betta come in and I use that to scoop them out when I need to.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new fish when you get him!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
the tank looks nice! I like the little cave pot.Just keep an eye on your betta and make sure he can find his way back out.Bettas are silly.

Heaters usually go inside the tank. I think they are necessary. Betta fish are tropical fish and they like temperatures between 77-80. I am not sure which ones are best for a tank that size, but I am sure some other users here will know. I have heard good things about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Sub.../dp/B00106X8QG
But, I haven't personally used that one yet.
You might want to pick up a thermometer while you're at petco so you can keep an eye on the temperature. They're about 2dollars there.
You could also get a few live plants if you wanted to..bettas love live plants to hide in... But that is up to you!
Also, getting a net is up to you as well..I personally prefer not to use a net for my fish..I am too afraid it will hurt their fins. I keep the plastic cup/bowl that my betta come in and I use that to scoop them out when I need to.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new fish when you get him!
I definitely recommend this heater! I have 4 of them and they are great.

The ones sold at walmart are horrible in my experience. The ones I had have been tossed in the laundry room and we have stolen all of the suction cups off of them. That is about all they were good for. It works fine for guppies but not bettas IME/O.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #6 
jesstanner

I have my tank at 76 degrees, I think it's really necessary to get a heater! (You'll notice your fish is much more active also!) I use a 3 gallon submersible heater for my 2.5 gallon tank and hanging out near it is one of my betta's favorite things to do! BTW I used that SAME tank with another fish of mine and the filter works pretty well! The only thing you really need to know is that you HAVE to change the filter bag as often as it says or else it gets really grimy or gross! Get the heater, your betta will thankyou for it!
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesstanner View Post
I have my tank at 76 degrees, I think it's really necessary to get a heater! (You'll notice your fish is much more active also!) I use a 3 gallon submersible heater for my 2.5 gallon tank and hanging out near it is one of my betta's favorite things to do! BTW I used that SAME tank with another fish of mine and the filter works pretty well! The only thing you really need to know is that you HAVE to change the filter bag as often as it says or else it gets really grimy or gross! Get the heater, your betta will thankyou for it!
Never do this!!! It will completely destroy any cycle you had going. They should only be rinsed in old tank water.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
I definitely recommend this heater! I have 4 of them and they are great.

The ones sold at walmart are horrible in my experience. The ones I had have been tossed in the laundry room and we have stolen all of the suction cups off of them. That is about all they were good for. It works fine for guppies but not bettas IME/O.
This This and This...
I got the tetra for smaller tanks for my 5 gallon...Didn't do anything..and I couldn't find my receipt so I had to go with a in store credit when I went to return...So I picked up the only other heater they had the 100watt tetra ..I got it for my 5 gallon.. yeeep! sounds crazy I know...but it too did almost nothing..and then it died and stopped working 2 months later..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #9 
Jonni

Thanks everyone i'm so excited to get my fish, I really miss having a little swimming friend
and thanks! I saw the cave/pot at the thrift store and thought it'd be perfect. I can't wait until I get the fish, now I just have to think of a name!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #10 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
This This and This...
I got the tetra for smaller tanks for my 5 gallon...Didn't do anything..and I couldn't find my receipt so I had to go with a in store credit when I went to return...So I picked up the only other heater they had the 100watt tetra ..I got it for my 5 gallon.. yeeep! sounds crazy I know...but it too did almost nothing..and then it died and stopped working 2 months later..
That's actually really weird. I have the tetra heater in my 3 gallon tank for a couple months and it has been EXCELLENT. I've never had a problem. It keeps the tank at a constant 78*. I've had more problems with my adjustable heaters fluctuating than anything else.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote