Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
Thunderloon

Before you reply, read.

Picked him up tonight for "free" discount on regular price and assurance that if he doesn't make it what I did pay will credit towards another.

He is weak, tiny, malnourished, suffering from low blood count and his tails are really chewed up. Can't see any sign of infection, fungus, virus or parasite and he perked up and started eating when I put him beside the sorority.

He's been on the shelf since he was tiny and just hasn't had enough food to grow on. I've been "patrolling" this store and I have to say while he IS in bad shape, the care that he's received is of the standards that we should expect from any place that considers bettas pets.

He was being fed regularly, just he was too small and still needed fry food.

Other pictures of him are in my album "rescue 1" at photobucket "noodlyappendagemonster". He's quite responsive and aware.

This is about as far as I will go on a rescue fish. I'll be keeping him in a 4-way in Sherbert's tank away from big scary Sherbert so that I have precise control over his water quality.

His fin color has started to get deeper in just the last hour.

At this time I have:
Added minimum amount of Neutral Regulator
Fed Hikkari micro wafer, fancy guppy pellet, Omega One fry flake.
Placed him beside a heat source near a "happy fish environment"
Taken pictures

I don't have a name for him yet.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

Named him Flop.

He's doing well and the water in his cup was prepared yesterday at the store from RO and a jug of Hagen.
About a quarter of that flake and a couple small pellets are gone now.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
Tisia

poor little boy. sure he'll be a real stunner with some good care. glad he found someone who could give it to him ^_^
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Oh the poor thing! Good for you for saving him; I'm glad he's already starting to improve, can't wait to see pictures of him once he's feeling better!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #5 
baylee767

It might be the angle of the photos... but is his body a little crooked and oddly shaped? That's a sign that could (MAYBE) mean fish turberculosis. Let's not assume the worse.... any pics of him from the side? Here's a thing from another website about it:

"
This is probably the deadliest of fish diseases, yet most people have never heard of it or know little to nothing about it. It can mimic a large variety of other diseases, making it hard to diagnosis. Only an autopsy can confirm mycobacteriosis. This is a slow blooming disease that may take up to 6 months to affect fish. Ultimately, the bacteria will attack the internal organs, especially liver and kidneys and cause organ failure (followed by sudden death). This is the only fish disease known to be contagious to man. The good news is, unless you have a very infected tank and stick your hands in there and have a big cut or a weak immune system, you will probably never catch it from sick fish. And even if you did, it will not kill you, mostly give you a nasty skin infection which may take a long time to heal. The bug does not like people much (it is a temperature thing), and seems to remain on the skin surface only. Also, just so you don't become all paranoid now, I must add that there has been VERY FEW documented cases of fish TB infecting people. And in most cases, as I said, the people either had a deep cut or immune system deficiency. The only reason I am mentioning all this is so you are aware of it. Don't worry, Mr. Betta is not out to get ya! LOL. Fish tuberculosis can be resident in water but has also been linked to live foods (researchers found cases of live foods infected by tuberculosis etc...), and is mainly passed by injection (eating contaminated live food, or eating a dead fish that was a carrier, etc...) Now you can understand the importance of staying away from fish stores where you can see a lot of dead fish! Pick your fish suppliers very carefully and favor a store or breeder that has high hygiene standards in their fish rooms or stores. As for me, as an added precaution, I have decided to not feed any live foods to my bettas (live worms etc), just to be on the safe side. ( However, microworms, vinegar eel as well as any home hatched brine shrimp are 100% safe and mycobacteriosis free :)) )."

Knowing me I'm most likely wrong though.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #6 
Luimeril

he's got some nasty fin rot, it looks like. just to be on the safe side, i'd keep him OUT of other fish's tanks for the time being. i'm sure his crooked shape is from the way ill bettas often lay, but it's better to be safe, than sorry, ya know?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 
Thunderloon

I'm watching carefully for anything out of the ordinary but he seems to be clean of any kind of infection.

Sometimes the breeders cup them WAY too young for them to survive the duration to and in the stores; their bodies continue to grow and have to consume their own tissues to meet the size requirements.

I do actually have the two medications for aquatic tuberculosis!

More of his fin color has returned and he's watching the girls from above through their mostly clear lid, he's eaten more and passed another poo.

I've examined the fin edges closely, there doesn't seem to be any decay it just looks like he was cured and it took every bit of extra him to do it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #8 
Luimeril

it's good that he's perked up alot!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 
metalbetta

If it were fish TB you would probably see many more symptoms than what this fish is displaying.... One of my fish lays like that when he's resting, but when he perks back up he goes right back to normal... if he stays like that I can only guess it might be his swim bladder? overfeeding and bacterial infections can cause problems with that... Hm.
Just keep doing what you're doing with him and if things get better that's great! If things get worse, ask more questions and modify treatment. That's how I handle new rescues.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

I've got him in a 4-way inside the girls tank, my control over it is much tighter than sherberts and it was much closer to the temperature of his cup.

The problem is the 4-way is rather well worn and very hard to take usable pictures through, it's no longer "transparent" and the camera likes to flash at it almost totally blinding the picture.

He's now breathing easier and his body is more flexible. He still does the tail stand thing occasionally. Feed is now Omega One Fry Flake to keep him from eating too much. The fry flake dissolves into fluff rather quickly. It is actually fun to watch a full grown male chomp a flake of it, it shatters into almost nothing.

I've got 50% dose of kanamycin and neomycin in the tank to protect him and the girls should even the worst happen.

Possibly karma at work: The chinese algae eater has decided to take up squatting rights on the other side of the 4-way... he's become fairly aggressive at running the girls off (I only assume its a he) so that Flop gets some rest.